Euphyllia going down

Bicyclebill

21 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Eli @EMeyer had a really interesting thread on the use of specific antibiotics to treat brown jelly on euphyllia (I can't tell if that is a likely culprit or not) but might be worth a read.

@Bicyclebill If you want to bring me a tissue sample, I can look at it under my microscope to see if there's any ciliates like those associated with brown jelly syndrome.  Here's a video of those ciliates under my microscope from when my tank suffered from BJS.  All of those brown spheres inside their bodies are the zoothanthellae they stole from the corals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

The video started out at 80x magnification, then I switched to 200x around the 30 second mark, and finally 800x around 1:30 into the video.

IMG_4809.jpg

Nice setup! Here's what I like to use, I think it's 1x 😂

41HrdOOdVaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

@Bicyclebill If you want to bring me a tissue sample, I can look at it under my microscope to see if there's any ciliates like those associated with brown jelly syndrome.  Here's a video of those ciliates under my microscope from when my tank suffered from BJS.  All of those brown spheres inside their bodies are the zoothanthellae they stole from the corals.

Were you able to successfully treat BJS?

1 minute ago, danlu_gt said:

Were you able to successfully treat BJS?

I ended up siphoning out as much brown jelly as possible, pruning off all the damaged corals, then doing several water changes over a couple week period.  It took about a month before I saw no new damage.

7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I ended up siphoning out as much brown jelly as possible, pruning off all the damaged corals, then doing several water changes over a couple week period.  It took about a month before I saw no new damage.

Good job for sticking with it. A lot of people have and would have thrown in the towel!’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg per L. 

I find a specific Arcobacter sp. in every specimen of BJD I can get my hands on. This antibiotic knocks it out, and has in my hands been safe for in-tank treatments. 

I've treated two tanks with it, saved half a dozen colonies of Euphyllia. 

There are certainly ciliates visible in the samples of BJD but I consider them secondary. In my opinion they are eating the coral tissue that's already dying from the bacterial infection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will add that I think dips make sense to kill surface parasites but I don't think they're the way to go for diseases. 

I tried cipro dips for a long time with no benefits before I decided to treat the whole tank. I don't think its possible to get enough medicine into the corals in a short dip, and long dips just stress the coral in other ways.

• Thanks 1

It's weird, I'm not having brown jelly on this one. I did lose one a few months back to brown jelly. This one it's as though the animal is expelling itself out of the skeleton. Reminds me of when I've used a scalpel to cut out mushrooms from rocks and they're still just barely hanging on. I need to figure out a better solution to this iPhone 11 camera because it sucks for taking pictures under aquarium lighting.

52 minutes ago, Bicyclebill said:

It's weird, I'm not having brown jelly on this one. I did lose one a few months back to brown jelly. This one it's as though the animal is expelling itself out of the skeleton. Reminds me of when I've used a scalpel to cut out mushrooms from rocks and they're still just barely hanging on. I need to figure out a better solution to this iPhone 11 camera because it sucks for taking pictures under aquarium lighting.

Either of these work great with my iphone.  

image.png

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, EMeyer said:

the one I used is

https://www.entirelypets.com/thomas-labs-fish-flox-forte-500-mg-30-tablets.html

I have not experimented with others. 

Do you still need to cut off the diseased area?  Will antibiotics stop the spread?

I recently got some wall hammers.  One of the hammer have one spot that would not open.  After a week, that area have started to die back and I can see the skeleton.  Seems like the infected area is spreading.  I ended up cutting off that section yesterday.  I didn't have any iodine at the time so I ended up using vodka and squirted at the area I just cut.  So far it's looking good.  Would be nice to dose some antibiotics and not have to cut off the infected area cause it's hard to reach down 36"H tank.