Apex Programming: turn on Outlet based on WXM/Radion On/Off?

obrien.david.j

Mr Wizard ( @SuncrestReef ) or anyone else,

Programming question:  Can I control an outlet based on On/Off status of Radion LED's?

I've got Radion LED lights connected to my Apex system via the WXM module.   

• I'd like to turn on/off vent fans (an EB832 outlet) to track On/Off of the Radion's.   Why?
    • Fans are a little noisy
    • Fans cool off the tank at night, making the heaters fight them

Any suggestions?

I'm not certain, and since I no longer have a WXM or Radions I cannot test it.

I know with the DOS using the graphical scheduler, when the output is set to AUTO the DOS will always report as being "ON" in programming even when it is not actively pumping.  I'm not sure if that same situation would apply to a Radion's graphical schedule.

It would be easy enough to test:

[Fan]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output Radion1 = OFF Then OFF

If this doesn't work, then put your PAR meter to work: 🤓

[Fan]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If PAR < 50 Then OFF

Or the most boring way would be using If Time corresponding to your lighting schedule:

[Fan]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Time 20:00 to 08:00 Then OFF

The Time method is my current programming.  But it's at high risk of Human (me) error, as I change the light schedule in the future

This syntax doesn't work.  (rejected on upload)   Any other syntax suggestions?   Maybe this is a generic question associated with programming based on WXM connections.

• If Outlet Radion01_G4P = ON then ON

image.png

If the output name is accurate (as shown in the list of Outputs) then I'm guessing "If Output" not a supported function for Radions.

Other options (you didn't like my PAR idea???) include a temperature probe inside the canopy (they can be used outside of water) or power consumption of the Radion power bricks (but that would waste valuable EB832 outputs).

Outlet name is accurate, but it's listed as Type Radion G4 Pro.   Kind of stinks you can't program against it at least being "on" or "off".

image.png

Per other options

• I move my PAR meter between tanks.  Plus it needs to be taken out and cleaned at times.  This option is not robust enough.
  • Monitoring Power on EB832 outlet could work.    I would likely want multiple Radion's plugged into that single outlet - in case the WXM fails to connect to the one single one and not fire up.    

I'm going to keep looking, maybe in Apex forums.  Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble over some obscure code/syntax.

2 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm going to keep looking, maybe in Apex forums.  Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble over some obscure code/syntax.

I’ve already been searching in all my usual places and haven’t found any examples of If Output Radion.

Your best bet for a definitive answer is to open a ticket with Neptune Support:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

11 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I’ve already been searching in all my usual places and haven’t found any examples of If Output Radion.

Your best bet for a definitive answer is to open a ticket with Neptune Support:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

Great Suggestion, Thanks!

8 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

To me, the canopy temperature probe is probably your best option.  This would prevent the fan from running when the lights are on but not yet hot enough, like during a sunrise or sunset ramp period.

Good addition.   I can test this easily enough.   I'm a little worried with the seasonality of temp swings.  But I'll add the monitor now.