To drill or not to drill 60 cube.

waldoz

So I picked up this 60 cube. Never had a tank this big and it's probably not the last. I am sure this is a midway point for us.  We currently have a 20L AIO we made.

IMG_20210130_203508435.thumb.jpg.ad424763d9995fa7741fb2aebea03741.jpg

This is what the 60 has for corner overflow. I know looks dirty, but too cold to clean it out.

IMG_20210218_172619657.thumb.jpg.4e4289cc69685371431950273ad8c73d.jpg

And here is the question I don't think I want just one drain. This one only has drain and return.

IMG_20210218_171941558.thumb.jpg.27be1dc1f2566fe67e054f7229bed046.jpg

Been trying to read all I can and it seems better to have two drains . Looking for silent mode on the tank.  I don't know if the bottom is tempered or not. I think I could get another bulkhead in there for the return line. The other option is run the return line on the outside and not drill it, but I like clean looking tanks.  What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by waldoz

The answer to that is always drill. I probably have some extra bits of varying sizes I could give you.

Another option is bringing the return over the back and using the two holes as the drains and run Herbie style.

I know everyone always pitches their tent in camp Herbie or camp Bean Animal, but the reality is the third pipe for Bean is overkill and frankly unnecessary. I still have not heard an account of the primary getting clogged and then the emergency getting clogged as well, thereby making the third pipe necessary. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

Use the two holes already there and do a Herbie. Drill up high on the back pane in the box for the return. You can probably actually reuse the returns that it came with so the weir teeth will still work and cover those two big U shaped holes in the weir. 

This is what I was thinking as well since I get the reluctance to drill so close to the existing holes in the bottom.  Assuming the back isn't tempered of course 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Been kicking around another idea with drilling.  Has anyone put a valve to drain the overflow camber for water changes?  I thought that's got to be a four or five gallons. Just trying to think of easy way to turn valve and fill 5 gl bucket.  Then maybe pump it back into the sump?

• 4 weeks later...