Hanna Checker not accurate

Saltfishlover

Assuming you did the hold down button so it does the countdown?

Sometimes I like to fill one vile with just tank water and one with test solution. I’ll often check it 2-3x just to see if there is variation and if the variation stabilizes or not. I do observe this issue occasionally but the test normally seems to stabilize after I check it a few times with the same solution.

The only positive thing is you are in safe ranges with those numbers. 

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

I used two viles yesterday and got different readings twice.  I did a 15 gal water change and checked again tonight. I didn't use two viles this time, just one each test.  

I did set it to countdown.  I think I'll try your idea of using se sample and either see if it stabilizes or average it out.  

.09 is acceptable range tho?  I thought had to.be down around .02-.04 

Make sure you rinse the vials well before you out them away.  I have had that cause issues with my wilwaukie.

.09 is fine.  In general, the conventional wisdom is anything under 0.1 is good.  In my experience, worse things happen at 0.00 than 0.15... 

Plus if you also have reasonably high nitrate then you are a good candidate for carbon dosing to slowly lower both. 

Definitely have to agree with @pdxmonkeyboy, hitting 0 is way more of a pain/issue than being elevated. It all depends on what you keep in the tank. If you are trying to dial in colors or something in a wall to wall SPS tank, the number is likely going to matter more than most with a mixed reef or soft dominated tank. More or less the key is you are getting a reading and it isn’t in the .1+ range. Even if it gets above .1, most simple carbon dosing solutions bring it down quickly (another issue to not overdo and bring it to 0 quickly/accidentally).

.5 nitrates!  Dayum dude.

Do you also juggle knives in your spare time? 

Well at least you are learning about THE most repeated lie in the aquarium hobby.  "You can get rid of alage by lowering nutrients" 

Alage are like lawn weeds, they are VERY effecient at using resources.  Ever see green dandelions in a brown lawn.. that is essentially GHA in your aquarium. 

Clean up crew is what you need!

9 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

.5 nitrates!  Dayum dude.

So I meant 5 nitrates lol. I have a clean up crew but they ignore it once it's too long. Some knock over my coral..I know...1st world problems....but I had a sand sifting gobie. He jumped out first night.  Was lucky enough to land in overflow and ended up in sump. He is now in a different tank lol

• Like 1