Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Manny Tavan said:

It’s 2021 in maybe the third best country in the world and we still don’t have underground power line...

 

let that sink in :)

Why don’t you move to the first best county? 
I moved to USA because I think it’s the best country in the world. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They could re-brand it as the Tesla ReefWall and charge twice the price...

Here's a candid photo of @SuncrestReef after two hours without internet. Right when he had all but lost hope. Luckily, it was restored just in time!

Power went out in happy valley/Damascus area twice for a few hours. I already had generator by garage and extension cord ran so I can quickly turn off n on when needed...used for about 6 hours in tota

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Danik said:

Why don’t you move to the first best county? 
I moved to USA because I think it’s the best country in the world. 

Lol how did an innocuous question about an ice storm get so off topic ? :joking: Can we debate sports too? I wish the Cowboys had a quarterback as good as Aaron Rogers opinion of himself. Am I the only one that can’t stand that guy ? He’s always blaming everyone else for his losses. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Power went out in the Portland West Hills near Gabriel Park last night at 8. I have a 140 gallon that is super lightly stocked with fish but a ton of coral. I used a small battery bank to run a small power head. The temp got down to 70. Today I fired up a generator until 7pm and got the temp up to 77. The generator is to loud to run at night so I am back to the power bank and single pump. If not for the PBR I would be really stressed. Any idea how low I can let the temp go?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, freddyk said:

Power went out in the Portland West Hills near Gabriel Park last night at 8. I have a 140 gallon that is super lightly stocked with fish but a ton of coral. I used a small battery bank to run a small power head. The temp got down to 70. Today I fired up a generator until 7pm and got the temp up to 77. The generator is to loud to run at night so I am back to the power bank and single pump. If not for the PBR I would be really stressed. Any idea how low I can let the temp go?

Do you have a gas stove to be able to heat some water and place it in bottles to float in your sump as a substitute for heaters?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, reef-fisher said:

 

That would be an abuse of power. Now we’re on to politics...? 
 

This is about to get good

😂😂😂

He can’t abuse power because he’s out of power. Ha ha I kill myself. While we are on the topic of power and loss of it what suggestions do people have to keep their tanks running. Sure power outages like this don’t happen all the time but it’s nice to have a back up?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

He can’t abuse power because he’s out of power. Ha ha I kill myself. While we are on the topic of power and loss of it what suggestions do people have to keep their tanks running. Sure power outages like this don’t happen all the time but it’s nice to have a back up?

I'll never regret the investment I made in my 22kW whole-house generator fueled by natural gas, which can power everything in my house in addition to the aquarium.  Power cuts over to generator automatically during an outage even if I'm not home, and sends me a text alert for notification.  The generator has its own automatic self-test every two weeks. It starts itself up, runs for about 10 minutes, and sends me a text notification of success or any problems.  I also have my Apex on a small UPS to handle the brief blip in power before the generator kicks on. It's usually within 20-30 seconds.

 

IMG_4291.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PNWaquatics said:

I lost power early Saturday morning and am still waiting for it to turn back on. I had to search around for a generator and luckily found one so my tanks are going strong.
 

My parents lost power late Friday night. They also have a generator to keep my dad’s tank going. No estimation on when the power is coming back on, and we’re hoping the generators can keep going indefinitely. So far, neither of us have lost any thing (though my Midas Blenny did decide to jump in the overflow during the 6 hours it took me to track down the generator). 

Almost 72 hours of power loss but it just came back on about an hour ago.  My little 15 year old Honda Eu2000i generator kept my tank alive the whole time with no apparent losses.  Hopefully my daughter @PNWaquatics power also comes back on soon.  I think I'm going to have to look into a whole house generator after this.  We lost many trees and the cleanup is going to take a long time.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I'll never regret the investment I made in my 22kW whole-house generator fueled by natural gas, which can power everything in my house in addition to the aquarium.  Power cuts over to generator automatically during an outage even if I'm not home, and sends me a text alert for notification.  The generator has its own automatic self-test every two weeks. It starts itself up, runs for about 10 minutes, and sends me a text notification of success or any problems.  I also have my Apex on a small UPS to handle the brief blip in power before the generator kicks on. It's usually within 20-30 seconds.

 

IMG_4291.jpg

That’s a pretty sweet set up. I don’t have natural gas but I hear they can run on propane too. How much did that cost ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

That’s a pretty sweet set up. I don’t have natural gas but I hear they can run on propane too. How much did that cost ?

It was spendy.  The generator itself with auto transfer switch was about $5,500.  Then the installation, natural gas meter upgrade, electrician, and permits brought the total to about $10K.  But when you factor in the cost of corals & fish, plus the basics of refrigeration and heating, and the convenience and luxury of ovens, microwave, laundry, A/C, garage door openers, TV, and Internet, over a 20+year lifespan....It's totally worth it to me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

well we lost power saturday around 11 am in OC.  we're on the hospital line so we thought we'd be back up soon.  we've lived here 15 years and never lost power.  our neighbors have lived here 27 years and the longest they lost power was for 4 hours.  our neighborhood got power back last night around 8.  unfortunately a street tree took our power line from the pole to the house down.  PGE has no estimate on when they'll be able to come out and reconnect our house.  i do have a generator so all is good but i've not been running lights and now i'm thinking i'm going to have to start since it might be a while longer.  picture below is our driveway full of limbs.  luckily none of the limbs hit the house.  

5UpNft6hDUIT_WOmrK_koDSHtzhCG0OAu_o8pNyDEN4TMzZb6MiuTxwye4RXRSWj3-OMHiIX0SV6gW5HPnN390H7yv8Dcl4YEUWXw9dNuy94Mm2rEp-NfRkp_q8ItZmqwWKIXHQQK8rKTyc7PJg0whnvlgcfb4PgNEvOayd-Pz-zuhPajTRgEspnL0zSyEO-O1Tpz_ndZH2jTbYCXYPjVrJ56caUaEdJCR3UtGfkMGTCUXM-XynSzMAmoxqtJ4vZ8so6FoNyev0oOCtlkNuUKd_myI5jrsNRWA1zVARmj_d0pq8lUDRMK1wrwyycoRUiEZtYncaZRodKPcr6GDI_Nodd9jCjSRMotekMqxoNuL8Tt3mNIxDYoW7UG1KqMMh0JsoXNLgeHEHcYvL1Qf-79CLxBM-0LcaF6kgkzeQT8k7WxrMoTRJscI-LFDoTCSxziNTunfjAeWTAWwlubzms1CZ6LXycmrJHid2MGQkAZLWTb72vNTxeju1kV30PmrrLRLDOz-qqgixfCHUHo16XihySKeuOJ7x4RrlhKbKuNLa0QAB0jid-szgA64XgF1CMfJS8zv4d1NTK-xCPpr_idhSxrcbuwuimu02Sh22DDt1SbfK3lHFQDK5vdYAxHTTfFwcuPxFIkBAvLamnGMdFDXZa5EycWSjiX_22GAL-g2GGYWy_HYNNnssZ2VJhwg=w1570-h883-no?authuser=0

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

It was spendy.  The generator itself with auto transfer switch was about $5,500.  Then the installation, natural gas meter upgrade, electrician, and permits brought the total to about $10K.  But when you factor in the cost of corals & fish, plus the basics of refrigeration and heating, and the convenience and luxury of laundry, A/C, garage door openers, TV, and Internet, over a 20+year lifespan....It's totally worth it to me.

I would agree. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kilmca said:

well we lost power saturday around 11 am in OC.  we're on the hospital line so we thought we'd be back up soon.  we've lived here 15 years and never lost power.  our neighbors have lived here 27 years and the longest they lost power was for 4 hours.  our neighborhood got power back last night around 8.  unfortunately a street tree took our power line from the pole to the house down.  PGE has no estimate on when they'll be able to come out and reconnect our house.  i do have a generator so all is good but i've not been running lights and now i'm thinking i'm going to have to start since it might be a while longer.  picture below is our driveway full of limbs.  luckily none of the limbs hit the house.  

5UpNft6hDUIT_WOmrK_koDSHtzhCG0OAu_o8pNyDEN4TMzZb6MiuTxwye4RXRSWj3-OMHiIX0SV6gW5HPnN390H7yv8Dcl4YEUWXw9dNuy94Mm2rEp-NfRkp_q8ItZmqwWKIXHQQK8rKTyc7PJg0whnvlgcfb4PgNEvOayd-Pz-zuhPajTRgEspnL0zSyEO-O1Tpz_ndZH2jTbYCXYPjVrJ56caUaEdJCR3UtGfkMGTCUXM-XynSzMAmoxqtJ4vZ8so6FoNyev0oOCtlkNuUKd_myI5jrsNRWA1zVARmj_d0pq8lUDRMK1wrwyycoRUiEZtYncaZRodKPcr6GDI_Nodd9jCjSRMotekMqxoNuL8Tt3mNIxDYoW7UG1KqMMh0JsoXNLgeHEHcYvL1Qf-79CLxBM-0LcaF6kgkzeQT8k7WxrMoTRJscI-LFDoTCSxziNTunfjAeWTAWwlubzms1CZ6LXycmrJHid2MGQkAZLWTb72vNTxeju1kV30PmrrLRLDOz-qqgixfCHUHo16XihySKeuOJ7x4RrlhKbKuNLa0QAB0jid-szgA64XgF1CMfJS8zv4d1NTK-xCPpr_idhSxrcbuwuimu02Sh22DDt1SbfK3lHFQDK5vdYAxHTTfFwcuPxFIkBAvLamnGMdFDXZa5EycWSjiX_22GAL-g2GGYWy_HYNNnssZ2VJhwg=w1570-h883-no?authuser=0

Wow 😯.  I am on the edge of happy valley and I think the only reason we haven’t lost power is that many of the larger trees were already cleared out due to the rains and them continually falling down and blocking the main road .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

I would agree. 

Plus, I'm lazy as f*&k, so the last thing I want to do when it's cold and freezing rain outside is to scramble in the dark to connect and power up a portable generator, then figure out how I'm going to get down the frozen hill from 750 ft elevation to a gas station to refill gas cans to keep a generator running that only powers a few things in my house only to shiver in a sleeping bag until PGE can get power restored...

Money well spent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Manny Tavan said:

meanwhile people can do the same thing with a $500 genny and a $20 suicide cord :)

So let's see...

Imagine you're asleep at 1am and the power goes out.  Does the generator start itself up, plug itself in, and move your aquarium power cords over?

Is your fridge still running?

Can you bake a beef tenderloin steak dinner in your oven at 500 degrees for Valentines day dinner?

Can you run several loads of laundry?  Run the dishwasher after that delicious dinner?

Does your furnace and hot water heater still work?

Are all the lights in your entire house still working?

Can you open your garage doors to get your car in and out?

Does the sump pump in your crawl space still run to drain off all the water from melting ice?

Does your Internet and TV service still work to help pass the time while the power is out?

Can you go to sleep at night and not worry about refueling the generator?  I can.

 

Yes, a $500 generator will keep your tank alive, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out of town taking care of my dying grandma, and then arranging her funeral, so we weren’t able to prepare for the storm. Been without power since we got home Sunday and struggling to keep my tanks at 60 degrees... if anyone has a generator they don’t need let me know. At this point I’m expecting the worst 😔

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Lol how did an innocuous question about an ice storm get so off topic ? :joking: Can we debate sports too? I wish the Cowboys had a quarterback as good as Aaron Rogers opinion of himself. Am I the only one that can’t stand that guy ? He’s always blaming everyone else for his losses. 

Aaron Rodgers is awesome, been carrying a mediocre team for a decade. Won a super bowl with McCarthy as coach. As a Dallas  fan you see how bad McCarthy is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deuce00 said:

Aaron Rodgers is awesome, been carrying a mediocre team for a decade. Won a super bowl with McCarthy as coach. As a Dallas  fan you see how bad McCarthy is. 

Yay we are talking football.  Don’t get me wrong he’s a good quarterback but not as good as he thinks he is.  He had many opportunities to win against the Bucs but he wants to blame the loss on not going for it on fourth down. Drew Brees gets the same treatment. It’s like it’s never their fault when they lose. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

So let's see...

Imagine you're asleep at 1am and the power goes out.  Does the generator start itself up, plug itself in, and move your aquarium power cords over?

Is your fridge still running?

Can you bake a beef tenderloin steak dinner in your oven at 500 degrees for Valentines day dinner?

Can you run several loads of laundry?  Run the dishwasher after that delicious dinner?

Does your furnace and hot water heater still work?

Are all the lights in your entire house still working?

Can you open your garage doors to get your car in and out?

Does the sump pump in your crawl space still run to drain off all the water from melting ice?

Does your Internet and TV service still work to help pass the time while the power is out?

Can you go to sleep at night and not worry about refueling the generator?  I can.

 

Yes, a $500 generator will keep your tank alive, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am with you on this one John. 10k is a lot and from a cost effective standpoint likely not justified but peace of mind is priceless. I was considering getting something like that where it is tapped into the electricity. I gave my Honda generator to my daughter last year since I sold her the trailer and I didn’t have a tank up. They made good use out of it. Those are reliable generators by the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, reefrun said:

I was out of town taking care of my dying grandma, and then arranging her funeral, so we weren’t able to prepare for the storm. Been without power since we got home Sunday and struggling to keep my tanks at 60 degrees... if anyone has a generator they don’t need let me know. At this point I’m expecting the worst 😔

I would offload what you can to one of the members who have offered to hold things. I can even do that for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Lol how did an innocuous question about an ice storm get so off topic ? :joking: Can we debate sports too? I wish the Cowboys had a quarterback as good as Aaron Rogers opinion of himself. Am I the only one that can’t stand that guy ? He’s always blaming everyone else for his losses. 

Remember when it looked like the Raiders and the Boys were primed for a big year at the same time?  Yeah, that didn't happen...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...