The forum has been too slow - free frag pack giveaway

Manny Tavan

This forum has been too slow so here is a fun game

comment #100 gets a free frag pack containing a kryptonite mushroom, bunch of varied zoas (too many to count), monti spongoides, orange monti digi and other stuff I can find on my frag rack or bare bottom. 

must be able to meet me at one of the Portland LFS for delivery. 

now here’s the catch. Any individual can only post a total of 10 post (I will count)

Have fun!

• Like 5

Alright guys, since Manny has thrown down the gauntlet... we’ve been holding off on new additions for the most part after a long year of cycling and letting our tank mature after downsizing. I have completely lost touch with what’s out there and pricing. What are your favorite LPS/softies in blue/gold tones? Any fishy favorites for a 30g or so tank? 

2 hours ago, Geeklet said:

Alright guys, since Manny has thrown down the gauntlet... we’ve been holding off on new additions for the most part after a long year of cycling and letting our tank mature after downsizing. I have completely lost touch with what’s out there and pricing. What are your favorite LPS/softies in blue/gold tones? Any fishy favorites for a 30g or so tank? 

30g...you can put 30 1” yellow tangs according to the reef gods...

and who wants blue corals aka invisible corals...

Edited by Manny Tavan

Just now, reef-fisher said:

I like what you’re doing here. Props, Manny. 
I need to make some posts about my set up, reintroduction, etc but every time I sit down to start, I think of maintenance that needs to be done on the tanks...

How’s the anemone doing?

1 minute ago, Manny Tavan said:

How’s the anemone doing?

The anemone seems happy as well as the rest of the awesome stuff! I can’t thank you enough for the awesome corals (I can’t call them frags because they are all big!) The anemone is for my new build, so he/she is stuck in the nem box til that happens. Tank is on order (water box 60.2) as well as some other equipment. Rock is in a tub curing. I think it will go quickly when the tank arrives, but I will be taking as much time as I need to keep it all simple and stable. I like your concepts of minimalist builds, so that’s what I’ll be aiming for. 
The power is out in parts of Salem, including here, but I have a generator running to keep the house in order. Thankfully I picked it up just in time about a week ago! It does feel a bit strange relaxing at home watching movies and playing with the tanks while the neighborhood is blacked out, but they were all invited... 

rant over 

9 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

how big of a generator are you using. I had two use my 1600 yamaha generator two nights ago for a couple of hours. I just plugged in three 200w heaters and a couple of powerheads. Kinda wish I had a bigger generator to power the TV lol

And to keep us warm...

my family was cold but the fish stayed warm lol

DF579233-3D72-4403-A702-1A77EAA7F2D8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

how big of a generator are you using. I had two use my 1600 yamaha generator two nights ago for a couple of hours. I just plugged in three 200w heaters and a couple of powerheads. Kinda wish I had a bigger generator to power the TV lol

I picked up the Firman from Costco when it went on sale. I think it’s 7500 watts when running on gasoline. It’s a tri-fuel so it can run off gasoline, propane, or natural gas, but there is a performance drop from gas to propane and to natural gas. I have to top it off about every 8 hours at 6-7 gallons (tho it is an 8 gal capacity) 

I hooked it up to a 50 amp breaker in my panel so we can run all the lights we want, all the tanks and equipment, fridge, furnace (gas furnace, but still needs power for fans and controls) and some other minor stuff like TVs and chargers. Range is gas and water heater only runs when I shut power to fridge and furnace off for an hour in the morning. It’s no “whole house” generator but it works in a pinch and for under $800 it is well worth it. Going on day 2 with it on, and supposed to have power back tomorrow night. 

holy smokes, day two without power! I was going to get a generator, but I just bought a Tesla. So I ordered a 1000W inverter than I can hook up to the 12V terminals on the car that is supposedly powered by a 2000W+ 24V to 12V DC transformer. So the idea of having an 82kW hour battery was one of the "pluses" of buying a Tesla. That was supposed to arrive Friday but didn't. So I'm playing with fire but hopefully we're out of the woods after tonight.

Every year I tell myself to invest in a generator and every year I pass on it. We actually lost power last night for about 90 minutes which is really unusual. We rarely ever lose power because our lines are under ground. After 30 minutes I actually got nervous because I'd been hearing so many horror stories about long term outages this week. I drove to a friend's house and borrowed his generator. I got everything hooked up on my two tanks and 45 minutes later the power was on 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️. Better safe than sorry I guess. I suppose I'll go ahead and finally buy one.