Roller Mat Systems

Gumby

I have a 12" wide DIY model.  I love mine.  It pulls sooo much stuff out of the water.  You do not want to be smelling the wet rolls.  I need to tweak my design a bit, sometimes the paper gets bound up or the motor is strong enough when the roll gets to big.   That is the price you pay with DIY.  I spent $40 for a roller mat thay can handle 4,000 gph turn over.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheClark said:

Why do our local PNWMAS people run them?  For clear water, nutrient export?  I find keeping the nutrients up without a sock difficult, so just curious.

Every system is different. Fish load, feeding habit, export methods water change frequency etc. I run mine as part of my export method

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I have a 12" wide DIY model.  I love mine.  It pulls sooo much stuff out of the water.  You do not want to be smelling the wet rolls.  I need to tweak my design a bit, sometimes the paper gets bound up or the motor is strong enough when the roll gets to big.   That is the price you pay with DIY.  I spent $40 for a roller mat thay can handle 4,000 gph turn over.  

Sounds like my kinda roller mat!  Too many projects <SIGH>  :)

10 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Would be curious to see that project.

19 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I think I may steal that design to make adjustments to my design.  I see that one side is completely blocked.  Which is a good thing.   The wet filter paper really tends to "stick" to the sides when there is a lot of water backing up on top of the paper. 

Let me know if you want any close up photos or from different angles of my roller for ideas.

thanks john.  Is the motor geared or direct drive?  The torque required to get the mat moving is actually pretty shocking.  I am using a power window motor with a reduction gear.  I think the issue is that my paper has too much surface area.  It does do an incredible job of cleaning gunk out of the water though.  

20 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

thanks john.  Is the motor geared or direct drive?  The torque required to get the mat moving is actually pretty shocking.  I am using a power window motor with a reduction gear.  I think the issue is that my paper has too much surface area.  It does do an incredible job of cleaning gunk out of the water though.  

It is geared 12:18.  
C9DA34BC-5365-4E6C-B56E-F021D62D9BAD.jpeg

On 2/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Can you DIY a roller that uses standard 2 ply toilet paper for my new build? that sure would save me a lot of money in the long run...

Thanks!

On 2/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, TheClark said:

Why do our local PNWMAS people run them?  For clear water, nutrient export?  I find keeping the nutrients up without a sock difficult, so just curious.

I'm planning to add them to my new system.  After tearing down my old system with just skimmer in the sump, there was so much detritus sentiment (not so miracle mud) in the sump.  With sump being so low on the ground, it so difficult to siphon out and wet vac fills up too fast to be useful.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, Manny Tavan said:

Clarisea all day. You can buy generic filter rolls off ebay for a quarter of the cost too. 

which clarisea would you recommend? I have a 55 gal. Also, what I dont understand on the automatic, how does it know to advance? is it like on a timer or what?