trying to get my alk down and cal up

psychofireman

I have read many things in this section but am still confused. currently my alk is 10, Cal 314, mag 1478, ph 7.97-8.25I am trying to get my alk down and Cal up. To my understanding if I dos Cal my alk will decrease and. if true, what is the best Cal liquid to use to dose? Reef Chemistry Calculator (diesyst.com) says I need to dose alk as well... as the relationship between the 3 basically Alk decreases= Cal increase and mag increases and if Cal increases= alk decreases and mag increases? I'm sure it isnt that cut and dry, but as a basic thats what Ive been noticing in my tank. Therefore, I'm assuming I need to mainly dose cal right now what cal products alk products should i look into gettig? that would give me a better idea how to fill in the chart in the link above

1 hour ago, psychofireman said:

I have read many things in this section but am still confused. currently my alk is 10, Cal 314, mag 1478, ph 7.97-8.25I am trying to get my alk down and Cal up. To my understanding if I dos Cal my alk will decrease and. if true, what is the best Cal liquid to use to dose? Reef Chemistry Calculator (diesyst.com) says I need to dose alk as well... as the relationship between the 3 basically Alk decreases= Cal increase and mag increases and if Cal increases= alk decreases and mag increases? I'm sure it isnt that cut and dry, but as a basic thats what Ive been noticing in my tank. Therefore, I'm assuming I need to mainly dose cal right now what cal products alk products should i look into gettig? that would give me a better idea how to fill in the chart in the link above

Dosing only Ca will fix this situation. That plus time. I'm not sure why that calculator would recommend also dosing Alk, I would turn off my Alk dosing pump, keep my Ca dosing on, and also do some manual daily doses of Ca til it hits 400-450. Over time, you'll get some precipitation... keep adding just Ca to maintain it over 400 and your Alk should drop to normal levels within a week or so. 

my 2c

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

Dosing only Ca will fix this situation. That plus time. I'm not sure why that calculator would recommend also dosing Alk, I would turn off my Alk dosing pump, keep my Ca dosing on, and also do some manual daily doses of Ca til it hits 400-450. Over time, you'll get some precipitation... keep adding just Ca to maintain it over 400 and your Alk should drop to normal levels within a week or so. 

my 2c

What would be a daily dose amount? The bottle I have says add 5ml (10ml for my tank) 1xweek. Would a daily dose be in addition to that?

image.jpg

What I failed to mention, as @EMeyer suggested, just dose calc to raise it to your desired value (the BRS calculator says no more than 50ppm/day increase) and let AlK drift down to where you want it.  Best way to determine how much to dose is to not dose anything and measure the consumption over a 24 hour period.  Then with that you can calculate how much you need to dose daily.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My alk is now around 8.3 and calc is 417and mag is 1550. My ph has been running 7.75 -7.95 in a 24hr cycle for a while now. I have co2 absorption media on intake of skimmer.  I’m not sure how else to address the low ph.  Without increasing my alk. Any suggestions?