Salinity probe

shaywood

salinity probes are dramatically effected by stray voltage (including induced voltage from nearby fixtures like lights, even lights in the room), but also from algae buildup and trapped air bubbles. I'd try to clean it real well and if that doesn't work, try switching off equipment and see if it shifts.

Anything new turned on recently?

Mine worked for about a year and did what you are seeing. Tried to recal like 5x and wouldn’t work. Pulled it out, not gonna pay $120 for little value add. I’m at 210 gal and for salinity to drift far enough to cause issues something catastrophic would have to happen (that would be noticed before a probe would likely alert me). I have Milwaukee and a pinpoint meters to check until Apex finally comes out with a reasonable solution.

29 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

mine has never worked properly.  angled, upside down, right side up, wires together, wires seperated.   I solved it by building a system with around 800 gallons of water.  Hard to change the salinity with that much water. 

Yeah, mine worked fine for quite a while then decided to just start bouncing between two values above and below the actual value.  Good times...

2 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Dang, you Apex users are some serious data junkies! Makes sense on running probe upside down though, but how do you do that without the leads being under water?

The wire is under water.  Neptune states that this will cause it to become brittle over time, but they don't say how long.  I keep mine in an area where the cord never gets bumped, so even if it is brittle it's not causing any problems.