Bad orphek. Now what?

Manny Tavan

Been seeing all these bad reviews about orpheks reliability and thought maybe it would spare me. Sadly no

these have been used for 21 months and I came home to a weird look in the tank. The left side was dimmer and less blue. Turns out a bunch of the blue led’s are off/dead. So I switched the lights to blue only and sure enought it’s missing at least 10. 

Those are $1100 each and for the price I don’t want to deal with another failure which seem to be common. These lights grow corals like no other but they also break like no other

Thinking about trying the reefbreeders photon v2 50inch ($700) because I am a fan of wide spread light. I was considering a T5 hybrid option but I don’t really see the need since my corals have grown pretty well with LED only

any suggestions?

E4159EC9-C318-4ADA-9600-0AE1704602BF.jpeg

AEB387A9-FDC6-4347-B7D4-60282F5285EF.jpeg

Edited by Manny Tavan

2 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

So the company emailed back within 12 hours. Since my light is out of warranty I have to pay for replacement part but they are sending me a new LED board that I would need to install myself. It’s $200. Will give that a try :) 

Cheaper than new lights that's for sure!

• Like 2

Pretty quick response and reasonable cost for parts in my opinion. Interested to hear trouble level of repair after you’re done. I just bought these new Red Sea 160S lights, and they are all quick connectors for replacement parts with videos already made showing how to do it!

• Like 1

Just now, albertareef said:

Hey man - good to "see" you!  I thought I remembered that correctly but don't trust myself these days...

Likewise Sean! It's been too long, I've just been busy with my own school and being a teacher for our children during all this. Good memory though! I was a big fan of that series. I had the 24" and the 48". Now that the Hydra's have stopped dying repeatedly they're working nicely for me too though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

I ordered one lol

Logan (the RB owner) has a nice 12 hour ramped schedule on an excel spreadsheet that calculates intensity for you, if that's something you'd like. 

Here's a link!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cszhnspj4gaopt4/Photon V2%2B Program Recommendations.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by youcallmenny

2 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Likewise Sean! It's been too long, I've just been busy with my own school and being a teacher for our children during all this. Good memory though! I was a big fan of that series. I had the 24" and the 48". Now that the Hydra's have stopped dying repeatedly they're working nicely for me too though. 

Glad I wasn't completely making that up.  In fact, I now remember thinking about buying your old ones off you but couldn't quite figure out how to optimize the coverage on my tank.  Good to hear the Hydras finally settled in - you had some crazy bad luck with those initially.  Glad you are hanging in there!

Sorry for the mini hijack @Manny Tavan  Just having a bit of "old home" week here 😀

• Haha 1