New growth

SuncrestReef

As many of you know, my tank has suffered a lot of coral loss over the past few months.

But today I noticed the first new growth in a very long time!  My hammer has several tiny new heads appearing on the sides of the skeleton.  It's not much, but any sign of growth is welcome.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.35.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.36.06 PM.png

There's also a crazy amount of what I believe are tiny chaetopterid worms:

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.36.35 PM.png

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Bicyclebill said:

That’s good news John, but are you going to wait it out or are you tearing down and rebuilding? Inquiring minds want to know…

I will be restarting my tank soon.  I'll save all the surviving corals in a temporary tank while I take down and thoroughly clean my display tank, bleach the rocks, replace the Red Sea sump with a Trigger Platinum34 sump with roller mat, and then cycle the tank again before putting the corals back.  The new sump will arrive tomorrow:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.07.30 PM.png

Because this sump is wider than the Red Sea sump, I will need to remove the center brace panel in the cabinet and replace it with a 80/20 aluminum support frame to fit the sump.

I'll be sure to post photos of this new build.

• Like 4

Glad to hear there looks to be some progress!  BTW - I still have that Duncan frag I got from you just before the "troubles" set in so you are welcome to have that back if you lost yours.

New sump with the roller mat looks sweet!  Will be curious to hear how that works out for you.  Definitely like the concept - especially if you have been fighting nitrate levels.  How are you going to house things during the reboot?  Sounds like you have a second tank setup somewhere.

2 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Glad to hear there looks to be some progress!  BTW - I still have that Duncan frag I got from you just before the "troubles" set in so you are welcome to have that back if you lost yours.

New sump with the roller mat looks sweet!  Will be curious to hear how that works out for you.  Definitely like the concept - especially if you have been fighting nitrate levels.  How are you going to house things during the reboot?  Sounds like you have a second tank setup somewhere.

I plan to hold my fish, shrimp, and cleanup crew in my fish QT tank.  Then I will hold the corals, some rock, and my Mandarin goby in my old sump as a life raft while I rebuild.  I want the goby with the rock since that's the pod breeding ground.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ibondy said:

I love the roller mats, can't imagine dealing with socks again. Looking forward to your sump under the tank. It is something I may consider as well, when time comes. 

For those interested in following along, I have started a new build thread over at Reef2Reef:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/