Back in the hobby again

Trigg

Finally getting back into the hobby again after 8 years of being out. It’s crazy how much everything has changed. It used to be all metal halides, vho’s, now I’m feeling pretty lost. If you could give one piece of advice what is it? I’ve had a bumpy start, was sold some bad used equipment so now it’s new only from here on out. Jeff at Cuttlefish has been kind enough to steer me in the right direction, but any additional info would be greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

After years of having a cesspool of a sandbed, I'm definitely on the no-sand bandwagon now! Can't argue about the natural look of a sand bed though.  

I've had the same set-up for over a decade but recently upgraded.  I've been very happy my new Red Sea Reefer system from CnC (tank, stand, sump, and plumbing) and all used components from folks on this forum (pumps, skimmers, lights, etc).

One advice from me is to get ready to dose nitrates and phosphates (in most situations) Dinoflagellates are the popular new problem people are dealing with. Back than we were all trying to go to 0 Po4 and No3 but now things have changed. We got smarter.

Welcome back! 

Edited by titus'reef

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

I have a diatom problem and was wondering about dosing. My nitrates and pho’s are both staying very low. What brand do you use? Would my freshwater phos and nitrate work? 

I would first make sure it’s diatoms. But if your tank is just in the beginning of the cycle it could be it.