Best RODI unit

Saltfishlover

Well, i can say that most rodi units are the same. It is really the RO membrane that is doing all the work. 

Honestly, to give you the best advice we need to know what your water pressure is like and who is your water supplier. 

Some municpal water has chlorine, some use chloramines.  The higher the water pressure the better it will work, less waste water generated. 

But... if you dont want to bother with all that, the BRS units are good. 

2 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Well, i can say that most rodi units are the same. It is really the RO membrane that is doing all the work. 

Honestly, to give you the best advice we need to know what your water pressure is like and who is your water supplier. 

Some municpal water has chlorine, some use chloramines.  The higher the water pressure the better it will work, less waste water generated. 

But... if you dont want to bother with all that, the BRS units are good. 

Not sure of my water pressure,but it's municipal water and def has chlorine.  Should I just get a pump and guage for the one I have? Just seem to waste a ton more water than I make.  

10 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

We have a sponsor on here, Air, Water, Ice. They make solid and reliable units. 

Can you tell me about cartridges for lowering Silicate levels?   Kent marine had a product called Hi-S, but It doesn't seem like a common product/feature/or advertising from other RODI makers?

55 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Can you tell me about cartridges for lowering Silicate levels?   Kent marine had a product called Hi-S, but It doesn't seem like a common product/feature/or advertising from other RODI makers?

Unfortunately, I'm not really versed in that. You could probably message those guys and ask them some questions. 

For membranes, one of the best is the spectrapure 99% rejection:

https://www.marinedepot.com/spectrapure-spectraselect-plus-99-rejection-ro-membrane-90gpd?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=SP40030&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6Or_BRC_ARIsAPzuer9gM2py7CRTwFrb7Xnw9sDznYgdUiujXvn6dXdf850GHVZltG7ThswaAlBFEALw_wcB

The extra 1% than typical may seem pointless but in many cases, that means the difference in 1TDS vs 2TDS going into your DI resin, Which, lets it last 2x as long theoretically. Most membranes cost within $10-20 anyway so might as well get the best.

As said before, from a unit standpoint, assuming you have one with swappable filters (not RO-buddy), they are all basically the same plastic housing/filter holder. I would just shoot for one with 3 pre filters and at least 1 DI post cartridge.

@obrien.david.j The “Silica Buster” cartridge by spectrapure is what your after for silicates. It is a DI cartridge.

https://www.marinedepot.com/spectrapure-silicabuster-di-cartridge-color-indicating-superdi-di-sb-ci-10hc

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

My place is in Tigard, about 20-40tds max out of the tap.

I have never use RO unit because when you have low TDS out of the tap just not required

But I do have 2 unit catalytic carbon 1cuft each canister, 1KDF55 20" canister, 1KDF85 20" canister, and 2 unit of Mix Di Resin 1cuft each, this is for 0 reject water.

This set up last 6 months to show 1TDS and still 0 chlorine and 0 chloramine, but I change it anyway every 6 months

The better prefiltration set (sediment & catalytic carbon) before the RO unit will make the RO membrane last longer and lower volume of reject water, then use the best mix bed DI something like Nuclear Grade Media. Do not buy less expensive for car wash type mix bed DI resin, just wont last long and not as good.

Buy the refillable media container so you can buy media in bulk and refill your own container, will safe a lot in the long run

The best brand for RO/DI set unit currently is Aqua-FX

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Depends on your current homes water pressure. Generally if you want higher output they are needed. Most membranes to run at advertised GPD need ~60psi

So yeah, they will run at 40psi but won’t output their advertised GPD

water temp plays a big part in the as well. The colder the water, the more pressure needed to procedure more volume of filtered water