Skimmer Help Please

bboileau92

I've been out of the hobby too long. I'm trying to set up my first skimmer since I've been back and am having a bit of trouble. The skimmer is an aquamaxx cones 2. It's, at some point, going to be running on my red sea 525 xl.  When first turned on, it overflowed like crazy, so I lowered the water level to the minimum in the skimmer chamber and opened the skimmer outlet all the way. I also put 2 layers of eggcrate to lift it up a bit. It's still foaming too well, so I just pulled the plug on the collection cup to let it drip back in to the sump. With that said, I'm going to assume that's just part of the skimmer break in. 

My biggest issue is the excessive output of microbubbles.  I don't remember my past skimmers putting out this much. Is there anything I can do to reduce the microbubbles coming out of the skimmer? 

2 things:

- is the skimmer brand new? Did you do anything to clean it first? Like a vinegar bath?

- is the tank new also? Have you dosed anything recently? Such as Prime?

If the skimmer is new it can take a week Or more to stop the micro bubbles. If you are within the suggested depth range it is just breaking in and should stop.

I would suspect it just needs to break in or you have something in your tank water as Blue Z was trying to get at above.  I have run a couple of different AquaMaxx models (currently a Q3) and haven't had an issue with the over-foaming or microbubbles once they were conditioned so hopefully this clears up for you soon.  Word of caution however - if it is something like prime in the water, it might take a while if you are cycling the skimmate back into the sump.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I would suspect it just needs to break in or you have something in your tank water as Blue Z was trying to get at above.  I have run a couple of different AquaMaxx models (currently a Q3) and haven't had an issue with the over-foaming or microbubbles once they were conditioned so hopefully this clears up for you soon.  Word of caution however - if it is something like prime in the water, it might take a while if you are cycling the skimmate back into the sump.

Good luck!

For sure, if you have prime in the water a “wet skim water change” is the best way to get it out. That’s the main reason I bring that up, if you just let it overflow it will keep going and going and going lol

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

It is a pretty new tank, but haven't used any prime or the like. I cycled the rock in a brute can and haven't had any detectable ammonia.

It is a new skimmer, which I figured was causing the excessive wet foam production, by I didn't realize it would cause the microbubbles. This is actually the first unused skimmer I've bought. I didn't give it a good clean, just a rinse before putting it in. My mp40 wet sides could use a cleaning so I'll do a good soak tonight to see if it helps. If it's normal, I won't worry about it unless it doesn't subside after awhile. 

12 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

For sure, if you have prime in the water a “wet skim water change” is the best way to get it out. That’s the main reason I bring that up, if you just let it overflow it will keep going and going and going lol

12 hours ago, albertareef said:

Good luck!

15 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

2 things:

- is the skimmer brand new? Did you do anything to clean it first? Like a vinegar bath?

- is the tank new also? Have you dosed anything recently? Such as Prime?

If the skimmer is new it can take a week Or more to stop the micro bubbles. If you are within the suggested depth range it is just breaking in and should stop.

• 2 months later...