Don't fish need oxygen?

Trailermann

There is tons of discussions on the critical need for battery back up so that when the power goes out, circulation can be maintained to keep the water oxygenated.  Last night, I goofed and left the return pump and power heads off for 12 hours straight.  To my surprise, the ten small to medium fish in my 120 gallon did not appear to be phased at all.  Why did they not all die?

I just had similar experience, while on vacation out of town my house temperature dropped to 65F which caused my tank heater to run for longer times. This caused an over load and tripped the breaker, tank was with out power for about 12 hr and temp dropped to 69F. Zero water movement for same duration too,  all fish and corals survived with zero impact.  Big thanks to Brian (reefbox) rushed to my house at midnight to fix the issue. 

10 small/med fish in that big of a tank was probably decently okay. The giant risk is if you have more or larger fish in there. The oxygen will dissolve into the water at an okay rate, but if there's a little too much fish mass (or inverts/other oxygen consumers), it can get rough fast.

Your reef might be okay as is, but with more or larger inhabitants, it could have been very different.

That said, I think the oxygen fears are a tad overrated and in our climate, I'd be more concerned about heat. The problem there is a heater will drain a battery REALLY fast, so you really have to get a generator going. A powerhead, or even small dc return pump, can last a long time on a normal battery backup

• Like 1

Nice you have a generator backup, I need to pick one up one of these days...

This is a super simple way to keep oxygen up and auto switches on with power out. Hard to beat for $13.

Penn Plax Silent Air B11 Battery Operated Aquarium Air Pump For Power Outage Automatic Turn On Keeps Fish Safe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PBIKHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_XtI7FbHANHXPG

Edit: just realized you didn’t have a power out...but still good to have haha

Edited by Blue Z Reef