Hello all back in the hobby after 10-11 years

Reefsakes

47 minutes ago, Reefsakes said:

Hi all! I'm back into the hobby after a long hiatus. Checked out RF and it's dead there. Is this where locals are at now?

Welcome ! Reef frontiers was a great forum but sadly they didn’t have anyone who wanted to keep maintaining it.  There’s a Facebook presence now but it’s not the same. Glad you found us here and welcome back. 

Thanks all. I was pretty active in the hobby before I left. Sold my nearly 700g system off about 11 years ago when my 1st born was coming. Got a 30g cube running to get through the itch and working on a 80g build now that should he done shortly. Also planning another giant system for the man cave as well. 

Edited by Reefsakes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reefsakes said:

Thanks all. I was pretty active in the hobby before I left. Sold my nearly 700g system off when my 1st born was coming. Got a 30g cube running to get through the itch and working on a 80g build now that should he done shortly. Also planning another giant system for the man cave as well. 

That sounds amazing! I hope you post up a tank thread and it’s nice to have someone on here that’s been active in the past. Most of us on here are in the Portland area with some in Vancouver and Salem. We are getting more Seattle area people and it would be nice to try to build more of a community here for them too.

4 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

That sounds amazing! I hope you post up a tank thread and it’s nice to have someone on here that’s been active in the past. Most of us on here are in the Portland area with some in Vancouver and Salem. We are getting more Seattle area people and it would be nice to try to build more of a community here for them too.

Yeah I miss the hobby. Kids will be 9 and 11 soon and are interested in aquariums so yay. My wife will be more forgiving with my spending lol. I will start a build thread on my 80g system shortly. Nothing crazy 

Just now, Reefsakes said:

Yeah I miss the hobby. Kids will be 9 and 11 soon and are interested in aquariums so yay. My wife will be more forgiving with my spending lol. I will start a build thread on my 80g system shortly. Nothing crazy 

Lucky you. My kids never shared the passion. I actually don’t have a tank up right now but like a true reefer there are three in storage at my house.  When I was away for a bit in the past I got back with a 20 gallon Nuvo and to this day that was one of my favorite tanks because I could reach everything without using a step ladder or tongs.

4 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Lucky you. My kids never shared the passion. I actually don’t have a tank up right now but like a true reefer there are three in storage at my house.  When I was away for a bit in the past I got back with a 20 gallon Nuvo and to this day that was one of my favorite tanks because I could reach everything without using a step ladder or tongs.

Haha I feel you about the ease of a 20g. I feel the same way with the 30g cube. However I miss a large system. Taking my time to plan out the next one. I want to go 96-120" x 30-36"×24" peninsula. 

• Like 1

The Facebook group 'Pacific Northwest Reef Keeping is pretty active and has more Seattle-ish people than this forum. I used to live in Corvallis, now live near Lynnwood. I'm planning a neme cube as (hopefully) something easier to maintain than the 210-tall I was hoping for...two little kids and everything else makes for a crazy life.

I think it'll either be a 24" cube or 30" cube, not sure yet. probably light it with the ReeFi uno and have an MP40 for flow with Melev's neme guard. might use a WAV if I go with Apex

5 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Welcome back to the game. Sounds like you had a pretty epic system. Biggest advancements if you haven't been keeping up are lighting (most going to LEDs) and reef controllers. I'd be looking into those if you're interested. 

Yeah definitely. When I left we all laughed at led 🤣 💀.  Now led leading the charge in all growing applications 😉. And yes controllers, dosers and auto water testing looks to be more mainstream. I have a build thread i started here. Only a measly 66g DT 80g system for now. Check it out

• Like 1