New Reefer Here!

SE PDX Reefer

Hello Everyone!

I have been doing months of research on aquariums and have decided that a saltwater reef tank is the right fit for me. Looking for any advice on beginner tank size, budget considerations, what to expect starting out , livestock recommendations, etc. 

Any knowledge or wisdom is much appreciated! 

Thanks and happy Reefing! 

Yeah it’s pretty hard to say, people are limited by a lot of things like space, money, ongoing cost/maintenance, etc.

My advice would be find a good sized used setup for reasonable. That way you don’t have a ton of money invested if you find out after 6 months it’s not the hobby for you. 

some would argue on tank size but I always favored a 90 gal tank. Has a great mix of space for fish and corals, larger water volume for more stability and margin for error, and generally they sell for pretty reasonable. Similarly sized would be a 75 gal, pretty close overall.

I think the number one thing to expect is you have to be PATIENT! People want to setup a tank one weekend and have a full reef the next. If you rush, your gonna have a bad time. I’ve seen it a million times. Also initially you will need to test a lot to track things so prepare to be invested in the primary test kits and ready to use them often.

38 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I think the number one thing to expect is you have to be PATIENT! People want to setup a tank one weekend and have a full reef the next. If you rush, your gonna have a bad time. I’ve seen it a million times. Also initially you will need to test a lot to track things so prepare to be invested in the primary test kits and ready to use them often.

Thank you for the input! I’m very excited to get started. Time to find my tank setup.

* tank size- start as large as you can afford. You'll want a bigger tank later

* budget considerations - double your budget

* what to expect starting out - it can be frustrating at times. Be patient and go slow. 

* livestock - look for inexpensive fish a that can stay in your tank and will get along with future tank mates. 

* Coral - go slow and don't buy any expensive coral in the beginning because they will likely die. Be careful to avoid corals that will be problematic later (ie. Invasive or sting others)

😀

Edited by shaywood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, shaywood said:

* what to expect starting out - it can be frustrating at times. Be patient and go slow. 

* livestock - look for inexpensive fish a that can stay in your tank and will get along with future tank mates. 

* Coral - go slow and don't buy any expensive coral in the beginning because they will likely die. Be careful to avoid corals that will be problematic later (ie. Invasive or sting others)

That is great advice.  Once you get the hang of things you can start to do what the experienced folks do..

* buy an expensive coral online and then be disappointed when it shows up. 

* chime in with advice, not really knowing what is wrong, and then just suggesting a water change.

* have a healthy tank and then not QT a fish and have velvet beak out.

* buy storage bins to store old aquarium stuff you don't use anymore (never sell anything)

* put frags of corals everyone already has and price them like you work at WWC. 

* Bump those sale posts ^ 

* convince yourself you didn't like the wall behind your aquarium or the floor underneath it so you don't care that they are now ruined. 

* Be super proud and excited about a colony and then just have it die one day. 

Am I missing anything? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SE PDX Reefer said:

Hello Everyone!

I have been doing months of research on aquariums and have decided that a saltwater reef tank is the right fit for me. Looking for any advice on beginner tank size, budget considerations, what to expect starting out , livestock recommendations, etc. 

Any knowledge or wisdom is much appreciated! 

Thanks and happy Reefing! 

5 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Yeah it’s pretty hard to say, people are limited by a lot of things like space, money, ongoing cost/maintenance, etc.

My advice would be find a good sized used setup for reasonable. That way you don’t have a ton of money invested if you find out after 6 months it’s not the hobby for you. 

some would argue on tank size but I always favored a 90 gal tank. Has a great mix of space for fish and corals, larger water volume for more stability and margin for error, and generally they sell for pretty reasonable. Similarly sized would be a 75 gal, pretty close overall.

2 hours ago, shaywood said:

😀

Some pretty good advice here. I agree wholeheartedly with the patience factor. First thing I would research (if you're not familiar) is the nitrogen cycle. Learning to actually cycle your tank is the most critical aspect of setting up a new aquarium. Getting a tank going is a months long project, not something done overnight. 

The other element I would recommend is getting plugged in to a reliable local fish shop. There are several in the area and depending on where you live, you'll likely spend a good amount of time at one over the others. Be a good customer, a nice person, and ask questions...you'll find your way in no time. For what it's worth, Cuttlefish and Coral is located in SW Portland. I think I've gotten dang near every fish I own from them (including the tank and a lot of the equipment). That's my recommendation if you're anywhere in that area (and even if you're not 😉😉). Check out our sponsors page and see what local shops are around, they're all great! 

• Like 1

advice for new reefers? go ahead and get the live rock now instead of trying for 2-3 years to get a sterile box of rocks and glass to turn into an ecosystem. 

more beneficial than any silly expensive piece of equipment you'll be sold, and speeds up your tanks development better than anything else. 

• Like 2