Can a lawnmower blenny eat itself to death?

MrMonte

Lawnmower blenny, Lonnie, had been eating and swimming okay but his belly started getting bigger and bigger and bigger.... today I noticed labored breathing while he was at the bottom of the tank. I helped him to swim and move about but it seemed his belly was too heavy and big for him to move. I put him in QT with same tank water and some meds.... he died shortly after. I wonder if he had an infection or blockage. All water parameters were normal for the system. Eating wasn’t an issue, online I see a lot about starving, this guy ate like no tomorrow... I was worried he ate himself to death.... Has anyone else experienced this?  Any ideas what could have happened to him? He was a beautiful, lively guy before today. 🙁

0491B6C1-3E7E-48FE-92AD-CC029A09DB11.jpeg

437A974C-2AE5-4CF1-B45C-E75B8715CF1F.jpeg

11 hours ago, Deuce00 said:

RIP Lonnie. My lawnmower looks the same but not as fat. I’ve had it 2 years it hasn’t grown length wise at all just round. 
61350EBD-E9CA-4797-9742-C66C25A34375.thumb.jpeg.fc0ac0a310e4ac72a6e625e5dba6debf.jpeg

He looks so awesome, I love the fin coloration. Lonnie didn’t grow much longer in the time I’ve had him. I noticed his round pot belly and it seemed normal until it wasn’t. Tanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrMonte said:

He looks so awesome, I love the fin coloration. Lonnie didn’t grow much longer in the time I’ve had him. I noticed his round pot belly and it seemed normal until it wasn’t. Tanks for sharing!

Thank you, I’d say he’s been the best fish I’ve ever got from Petco. 

• Like 1