Hello from Vancouver WA - New (to me) Tank Setup Guidance

rmhigby

Hello Folks - 

I've decided that marine husbandry is where I want to sink some free time and to that end I found a used saltwater setup for sale on craigslist.  I snapped it up for $300 knowing that I would still need to purchase more or replace what's reached its EOL.  I've spent a few days looking over plumbing designs and I think the tank setup will be simple enough but I wanted to post some photos of my gear and solicit some feedback.  I know that my tank isn't the most beautiful but beauty wasn't my main focus.  Initially I wanted to get into the hobby a cheaply as possible so that I had the equipment required to start learning all aspects of water chemistry.  I'd like to progress to a place where I can raise some sps and lps corals as well as some livestock.  I'm attaching some pictures in hopes that someone in the area can give me some guidance on how I should plumb my tank in order to use the equipment I have.  If all goes well, I'll be ordering a Reefer Deluxe 350 and converting this first tank to a frag tank, but for now that is my long term vision.  In the short term, I just want to get some progress made.  Any help is EXTREMELY welcome. 

- Robert

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2298.jpeg

Edited by rmhigby

Tank looks good, I would say that is a great beginner size for sure. 

Lots of helpful people around here, what are you looking for help with?

One that I see right away that I would change would be the sump. Ideally more size makes for easier organizing of equipment and space for extra/larger equipment. That sump in particular looks more along the fresh water lines than reef. Some of the equipment looks older but some of it will work out fine to get you going and you can upgrade to things that you would then carry over to the new tank (like a newer skimmer, return pump, etc).

when you are ready for some easy beginner corals, send me a PM and I’ll get you setup with something you don’t have to worry about killing 😁

Edited by Blue Z Reef

• 5 weeks later...

Welp, I went a different direction.  I was able to pick up a Red Sea Max E-170 with an Apex EL controller, Tunze 3055, and IM 10g tank for $1k.  Included was a ton of Red Sea coral care products and a couple hanna testers.  Oh yeah, and a 4 head doser and dosing container.  So, I have started my cycle but I am not 100% sure I am doing this properly.  I just tested my nitrates and the results were 1.91.  It's been around three weeks and I used the Fritz turbo bacteria.  I left my skimmer off for the last few days and I only just now turned on my light for a little bit.

Questions:

1. Should I be doing water changes while I am cycling? 

2. How long should I expect to cycle if I am already building nitrates?

3. Would a pair of small clowns be a bad idea? 

Any advice is welcome. 

IMG_2427.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

Cool upgrade, sounds like it came with a ton of nice stuff so you will be well on your way from the get go.

For you questions:

1. No water changes during the cycle, that will only prolong it.

2. The cycle time is unique to every tank but since you are using bacteria to jump start it, you can expect it to be on the faster side. The key isn’t so much Nitrates initially, it’s that your ammonia and nitrite are initially elevated then tracking down to 0. Once that had happened you are cycled.

3. Clowns are pretty hardy fish but make sure the ammonia and nitrite are 0, then you are good to add fish.

waiting for cycling sucks when you just want a reef right away. Patience is key! There are a lot of online resources if you just search “reef tank cycling” that will give you all the target parameters (I can never remember them off the top of my head...)

Also, as I said before, when you want a sacrificial coral to toss in, hit me up and I can get you a zoa frag or something to test the waters.

• Like 1

So I took some water and made a trip to Saltwater Obsessions and turns out my water is perfect for a pair of clowns.  I did a bang up job of drip acclimation and they were dropped into my tank a few minutes ago.  They are just chilling now.  I also grabbed two turbos to keep things clean.  Yeah, I chopped the 65g acrylic down to a frag tank that is now 48x18x10.  I have a 20g long that I will make a sump out of.  

Yes, I have 2lbs of live rock in with my dry rock.  I've read a ton but really I kind of just jumped in with both feet.  If my clowns are alive 30 days from now I will consider it a success for this first stage.

Blue Z - Yes, I would love a test frag.  I really don't want to kill anything but my guess is that I need to accept that possibility.  I'm just a shot down 205 and east to Camas.  You name the time and place! 

Here is the progress on my frag tank.  Still have a lot of work to do but it's coming along.  

frag and display.jpg

Edited by rmhigby