What are your favorite sump main/return pump(s)?

Webbed Feet

Everyone might tell I'm doing some shopping!  🙂   In the near future I'll be moving a Red Sea 70 gallon E260 all in one to a different room in my home and adding a sump upon setting it back up again.   Many of you have been just fantastic with some quick opinions for me, it is very appreciated with all the sales on right now.  I'm thinking the two current main tank pumps in the built in rear sump are not going to work (or be the best) for the sump as I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to use very different piping size (and I think I leave those in place anyway).   What are your opinions of good solid, bang for the buck, dependable, quiet, pumps?   Would most of you use DC variable speed models?    

Thanks again, this club's participation is just great!

Edited by Webbed Feet
typos

I’ll second the reef octopus varios pumps. I have the 6 and has worked flawlessly and run solid for 3 years. You can’t even hear it running and very easy to disassemble for cleaning. It has never once gotten hung up when it’s turned off like many other pumps I have. It’s reasonably priced and usually on some Black Friday sales. I was tempted to pick up a spare. Going DC is great since you can vary the flow rate to suit your tank and I like to crank mine up when blasting sediment off rocks to turn the water over quicker through my socks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I have been thinking of switching my reeflo hammerhead out for two Jebaos.. maybe we should chat?

Maybe!  I think I have two hammerheads though, but one needs some seal work.

I want two have two, so that if the seals on one goes while on vacation, can switch it over.

Those Jebaos are hard to beat. I put one on my closed loop and has not skipped a beat in a couple of years. Just makes me nervous having one as a return pump 😆 but this is not based on a bad experience. Just because you pay more means it’ll be more dependable right 😂 

2 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Those Jebaos are hard to beat. I put one on my closed loop and has not skipped a beat in a couple of years. Just makes me nervous having one as a return pump 😆 but this is not based on a bad experience. Just because you pay more means it’ll be more dependable right 😂 

Good point!  They are so reasonable priced, I run two returns, one per sea swirl.  Just dial them back as necessary.  If one goes out, the overflow is noisy but everything is just fine!  Because, once, getting ready to board a plane, my return quit!  Murphy!!

26 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Good point!  They are so reasonable priced, I run two returns, one per sea swirl.  Just dial them back as necessary.  If one goes out, the overflow is noisy but everything is just fine!  Because, once, getting ready to board a plane, my return quit!  Murphy!!

Oh yea, Murphy! Nice redundancy with dual return pumps.......easy to do that with the price of Jebaos and likely safer than any single high end return pump. Maybe when I’m leaving the house post covid I can install a second pump. 

• Like 1

I love Jebao pups for their quality and price. I am controlling them via Apex. I buy two at the time and plumb them in both and use one in a stand by mode. and still save money over 'top' brands. Using Apex I can switch the pumps from anywhere, in case of failure. Did not had to do it, yet. 

• Like 2

@TheClark, the seals are pretty easy to replace if they start to go bad.  One thing is that if you buy the seals directly from them or an aquarium place they are $30.  But if you google the seal type they are like $9.   Go figure.  If you start going REALLY big on the Jebao pumps remember that they are similar to other large pumps and you need a good straight run into the pump or you can cause micro bubbles from excessive negative pressures.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Webbed Feet said:

Regarding the Jebao..... Do you guys mean these?  Would sure agree, the price is right.  If plumbed in pairs for redundant backup, pretty hard to beat the value.

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-DCP-8000-Sine-Water-Return/dp/B07F1LWN39/ref=psdc_2975475011_t3_B07H1S5FRT?th=1

I use these Return Pumps - ReefBreeders.com because you get US based warranty and Apex connectivity.

2 hours ago, Webbed Feet said:

I notice nobody mentions the Neptune Systems COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump that is part of the Apex accessories.  Something I don't know, other than the price is steep?   A bit of a surprise given Apex is pretty popular overall on the forum.  ;)

Price too steep + reputation of the pump is not that great, imho.

Edited by ibondy
  • Like 1

Another one for Jebao from me. I’ve had long lifespans out of them and they work great and are quiet. The new “sine wave” models are the quietest of them I’ve used. For the money, you can afford to have one on the shelf if you ever had an issue. Can’t recommend them enough.

• Like 1