Mp40w help!

xxkenny90xx

Hey guys, my koralia pump started leaking voltage the other day so I need to replace it. I found this oooolllldddd mp40w in a box and thought I'd give it a try so I ordered a new power supply (which doesn't seem to plug in all the way) for it and plugged it in and nothing.

Anybody have any experience with fixing these up? I thought maybe a new controller was in order but I can't seem to locate one. 

20201107_134250.jpg

Resized_20201103_192600.jpg

6 minutes ago, ocboat said:

I'm sure you have tried this but make sure the it is making good contact with the pin in socket. I know some one of mine has to be exactly right or it won't work. I also had some of those original drivers die on me.

Thanks, I'm trying wiggling it all around and nothing. This thing looks pretty old so who knows. If I have to I might buy a new higher end pump. Would it make sense to stick with an mp40 and keep this one for spare parts (are they interchangeable)? If not I'll probably go with a cheaper gyre or something

My dry side motors are original but I have the second generation ES drivers and one new Quiet Drive wet side and one original wet side.  Since you don't really know what is the issue it may be wise to go with something new. If you knew for sure that a new driver would work, it wouldn't be too expensive to go that route also (new generation parts work with older models).  It's a tough call.  I really like my vortechs but I haven't ever tried a gyre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ocboat said:

My dry side motors are original but I have the second generation ES drivers and one new Quiet Drive wet side and one original wet side.  Since you don't really know what is the issue it may be wise to go with something new. If you knew for sure that a new driver would work, it wouldn't be too expensive to go that route also (new generation parts work with older models).  It's a tough call.  I really like my vortechs but I haven't ever tried a gyre.

Out of curiosity do you have certain upgraded parts because the originals failed? Do they fail often? Are the replacement parts affordable? I ask because I've always been happy with my koralias but am wanting to upgrade so I don't have to deal with broken parts regularly 

That answer is yes but I think the original manufacture date was around 2009 or so.  The older wet sides had rebuild kits but those are no longer available and entire wet side assemblies must be purchased ($78.00).  I don't know what the lifespan of these new wet sides are.  I replaced my original drivers with EcoSmart drivers years ago and they are both still working. I had one motor seize up after I dropped it in the tank (bought a used replacement from a member here and it is also at least 10 years old).  I have also had to replace one power supply that went bad.  I will probably upgrade to entirely new Quiet Drive units when mine completely die but for now I'm still happy with how they are working.  I don't mind spending $75.00 here and there to keep them running but if ever another motor does stop working I'll look at replacing with something new.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ocboat said:

That answer is yes but I think the original manufacture date was around 2009 or so.  The older wet sides had rebuild kits but those are no longer available and entire wet side assemblies must be purchased ($78.00).  I don't know what the lifespan of these new wet sides are.  I replaced my original drivers with EcoSmart drivers years ago and they are both still working. I had one motor seize up after I dropped it in the tank (bought a used replacement from a member here and it is also at least 10 years old).  I have also had to replace one power supply that went bad.  I will probably upgrade to entirely new Quiet Drive units when mine completely die but for now I'm still happy with how they are working.  I don't mind spending $75.00 here and there to keep them running but if ever another motor does stop working I'll look at replacing with something new.

OK thanks, I really appreciate the info. If I can get about 5 years out of a new mp40 before having to replace parts I think I would be happy with that. Plus having these spare parts is a bonus. 

3 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

What kind do you use/recommend? I've never used these higher end Powerheads before but I am getting sick of replacing koralias every couple of years. 

Jebaos, running most of them for years trouble free, no cleaning, no maintenance.  If they do go out I just get a new one.  APEX control mine, run a tide simulation of incoming and outgoing tides of sorts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, TheClark said:

Jebaos, running most of them for years trouble free, no cleaning, no maintenance.  If they do go out I just get a new one.  APEX control mine, run a tide simulation of incoming and outgoing tides of sorts.

Well I ended up grabbing a jebao sow-20. That's the size jebao recommends for my size tank. The pump is silent and looks good but what heck, this thing is huge. The lowest setting seems ok but anything else seems like it'll blow the water out of the tank! And no way can I use the random flow setting (which is what I wanted to use) 

Anyways it's a very nice pump but I need a smaller one! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Well I ended up grabbing a jebao sow-20. That's the size jebao recommends for my size tank. The pump is silent and looks good but what heck, this thing is huge. The lowest setting seems ok but anything else seems like it'll blow the water out of the tank! And no way can I use the random flow setting (which is what I wanted to use) 

Anyways it's a very nice pump but I need a smaller one! 

What size tank do you have?  

3 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

5' 112g.

On the opposite side I'm still running an old koralia (800 or 1000gph, can't remember). 

I did just order a sow-15 to replace the 20 but I'm nervous that's gonna be too big too?! 

That seems about right, but I dunno!  I run the 20s on an 8' frag tank but they are like 5 years old plus.  On the 240 cube, I run a pair of 20s also, but also very old.  They might be better / stronger these days!

• Like 1