Heater broke in ON. Inexpensive ideas for controlling?

Snappy

So a week ago my Cobalt Neo Therm heater went bad. I noticed my acans were turned inside out one afternoon so I checked the thermometer and got a major scare when it read almost 90 degrees. I immediately checked the heater and saw it was (and still is) stuck in the 94 degree maximum read zone. I am very fortunate to have found this during the afternoon and likely it had slowly crept up to bath temp over several hours. I unplugged the heater (obviously) and used my emergency reef ice cubes and room temp water to get it back to 80 in about an hour or so. My reef was unhappy for a couple days, but no notable losses. Amen

Now, I have a backup heater on it, but need a new heater so I can even make replacement saltwater. Considering a controller for heat if I can find something inexpensive. Had one for about $45 I got on Amazon last year, but it didn't work well. Is there something to control heaters and or a fan for summertime that is in the $40-100 range? Not wanting to invest much in my 28 gallon aquarium, especially as I may need to sell soon to make room for newest family addition. Ideas?

• Like 1