Algae Scrubbers

Webbed Feet

I had to turn mine off because nitrates were too low.... So, if you have high nitrate issues, this is a great way to pull them out along with phosphates at a fairly predictable, tunable, and natural rate. 

Probably not a must have, but for the cost, they are pretty [language filter] simple to set up... 

I used to run one ~6 years ago. Worked well, I just felt like it was easier to pull algae out of a refugium than a reactor. I currently use a refugium and a light from Amazon "Bozily 450W Waterproof COB Led Grow Light". I also run some gfo, not much.

One of my favorite setups I had was a display refugium with mangroves and a 600w halide. People would look at that more than my tank... Amazed I had trees growing off my fish tank. My skimmer didn't even work, was just for aeration.

I think you would have to have a hole in your head to spend what they are asking for them new.  A light, some plumbing, and a plastic sheet..$500?

B@#%$ please.   

Oh wait, I take it back, this totally looks like it is worth $1000.  https://www.santa-monica.cc/SURF8-or-SURF8x--built-to-order-floating-surface-2-compartment-upflow-scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surfaces--8-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_64.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Hah, I'm finding myself entrenched in Black Friday pricing for an algae reactor. Could just be the covid stress, but I'm thinking I might want to try one of these.

I cannot say it is from experience as I have never had a filter sock setup, I have just used filter pads.  However, I have played with putting socks into and out of a sump and so far I am not impressed.   

On 10/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I think you would have to have a hole in your head to spend what they are asking for them new.  A light, some plumbing, and a plastic sheet..$500?

B@#%$ please.   

Oh wait, I take it back, this totally looks like it is worth $1000.  https://www.santa-monica.cc/SURF8-or-SURF8x--built-to-order-floating-surface-2-compartment-upflow-scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surfaces--8-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_64.html

But wait there us more for only 35 dollars and a small shipping and handling fee we can send you a second one.