Low Phosphate Pellet Food?

TheClark

I want to beef up my feeding a bit.  Thinking of adding an auto feeder because life gets busy and reefs like consistency.

So... had allot of bad experience with foods in the past raising phosphate and triggering algae blooms.

Since moving to frozen and nori only, all those problems disappeared.  Cautiously I am looking to branch out again.

I googled around but just curious what the local crew has to say.

So...

What are people

(who regularly monitor phosphate and do not have algae blooms :) )

feeding their tanks in pellet form or something else auto feeder friendly?

Just curious, how high was your phosphate getting to? I know you had the rock leeching issue but maybe after things calmed down a bit?

what do you keep your Mag at?

I feed prime reef flake 1x per day. Sometimes I use SA Hatchery diet but it floats too much for an auto feeder unless you have one of those food chutes. The rest of my feeding is frozen or nori.

Also, when you say algae outbreak, what are we taking about? Hair? Cyano? What type?

I keep you Mag at 1400 and with my feeding my phos is usually around .03-.09. Only algae is some brownish film type on the sand but never gets worse than discoloration and doesn’t go everywhere (snails seem to stir it up). Haven’t had any hair issues. My only cyano outbreak was remedied with one chemiclean treatment.

• Like 1

I use my autofeeder when I'm out of town (which is rare these days), and I use Piscine Energetics Mysis 2mm pellets.  I discovered PE pellets at the July 2019 PNWMAS meeting at All Things Aquarium where Colby from Piscine Energetics gave a talk about their Mysis foods.  I can't find any specifics on their website that mentions the phosphate levels, but I do recall from his talk how they process the pellets to reduce residual nutrients.  You should read how they got started by mistake after the Canadian government implemented a failed attempt to improve fish stock levels in regional lakes by introducing Mysis shrimp.  My fish seem to love the pellets, and when I return home from trips I haven't found any unusual PO4 problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Just curious, how high was your phosphate getting to? I know you had the rock leeching issue but maybe after things calmed down a bit?

what do you keep your Mag at?

I feed prime reef flake 1x per day. Sometimes I use SA Hatchery diet but it floats too much for an auto feeder unless you have one of those food chutes. The rest of my feeding is frozen or nori.

Also, when you say algae outbreak, what are we taking about? Hair? Cyano? What type?

I keep you Mag at 1400 and with my feeding my phos is usually around .03-.09. Only algae is some brownish film type on the sand but never gets worse than discoloration and doesn’t go everywhere (snails seem to stir it up). Haven’t had any hair issues. My only cyano outbreak was remedied with one chemiclean treatment.

Ah yes, you remember!  My phosphate back in the day was off the charts, but no doubt rocks were a huge part of it.  The algae was GHA, such at PITA since we are using acronyms here :)

I went back to the testing journal.  Looks like phosphates peaked on 2/25/2014 at .84 on the hannah.  Crazy to think this particular tank has been running 7 years or so...

Mag is at 1337 tonight.

Chemiclean is so awesome for cyano, love that stuff, thanks for the reminder.

Will check out those prime reef flakes Jeff, thanks.