Seeking advice on buying a used tank

scubaethan

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a used tank (I assume they are like cars and drastically drop in price once no longer brand new?)

This has been posted for I think several weeks and seems like a really good deal. I'm surprised no one has bought it yet. Thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/338254062979515/permalink/1775971009207806/?sale_post_id=1775971009207806

Attached screenshot in case you can't access that link.

I'm really wanting a tank under 40g, but longer than wide. And there aren't many out there in that size/dimensions. I've been looking at the Nuvo 30g long, but its an AIO and it's hard to decide between an AIO and a sump. Any advice about going either way? I don't care too much about keeping sps, but I do want nems and a clam.

Thanks! 445d7b0e99b7f722c97d83d009910acc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's really hard to tell used condition without looking at it firsthand, especially since this equipment is around saltwater 24/7, if it's old and crusty it means it's probably seen a lot of use and might just need a cleaning but might be totally worn and need replacement.  It does look like a pretty good deal for everything provided it works fine.

My personal opinion when setting up a reef tank is I always want a sump.. more water volume, more ability for equipment you might need later and space for macro/LR/etc. It also allows you to upgrade the sump to a larger one or plumb it into another system if you choose to setup multiple tanks.

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking this was a good deal compared with say Waterbox, RedSea, and Innovative Marine tank setups with sumps.

If I don't buy used, or those expensive brands, do poeple have any other brand recommendations? Plumbing a tank and sump myself sounds a little nerve wracking, but maybe I can take it on.

Yeah that’s high. Don’t get me wrong, the stand looks nice. People can sink a ton of money into a stand to look nice, but doesn’t really add a ton of value to the setup. The tank is probably just an aqueon 40B which retails for $50 at petco. Sump looks like a DIY aqueon also so it was $20 new. There is DIY work and materials involved but there are better deals to be had out there.

I wouldn’t worry about plumbing. It’s pretty simple in general. Tons of people here can help too. Usually takes at least 2 trips to get PVC at least before your finished lol

Tank you choose depends on budget. Are you trying to be all in for under $700? What about tank size? Lots of factors. Personally I prefer bigger sizes for stability but that again depends on you and what you want out of it.

• Like 2

Stand to me looks like a bathroom vanity they repurposed.

Ha! Thanks for your honesty. Now that you say that I see it too.

I'm not limited to $700. I could spend more but less is always better then could allow for more on equipment and livestock later.

I used to have a 12g cube, so I'm ready for something different and really like the longer vs wide dimensions. I can't fit more than about 40g in my space for the display tank (then sump under).

Got a Red Sea Reefer 250 I just emptied yesterday for sale. Its Tank, Stand, Sump, and screen top. Here are some pics of it setup. I will get u pics of it now if u want but was going to clean it a bit later today. Left door has a few scuffs but only noticeable up close.

Looking to get 600. I am in McMinnville but can help with transportation if needed.

20200805_113510.jpg

20200805_113534.jpg

20200805_113544.jpg

Edited by CoralReefTankers
location added