Do you need aquarium equipment?

5 hours ago, techymechy said:

I used to have an aquarium 10+ years ago.  I have some nice equipment, but it won't be used for a future tank.   Does your school need equipment and can you provide a tax receipt?   Please send me a PM for what I have and what you might need.

Unfortunately due to Covid restrictions this tank had to be shut down as the school couldn’t let Jim in to maintain it and it’s sitting in storage at my place right now. 

@Flashy Fins is the TFT coordinator talk to her. I’m sure we could produce a tax receipt.

• Sad 1

I'll try to give some good deals to people in the greater Portland area.   I have enough posts to post on the classified now.   It's too bad that the TFT is not working.  I gave my 100 gallon to a teacher in Albany, but I think it was way over his head for taking care of it.  I gave it away, but it was hard to see it get trashed.

Just now, techymechy said:

I'll try to give some good deals to people in the greater Portland area.   I have enough posts to post on the classified now.   It's too bad that the TFT is not working.  I gave my 100 gallon to a teacher in Albany, but I think it was way over his head for taking care of it.  I gave it away, but it was hard to see it get trashed.

I bet. I used to be the coordinator and in that experience I found it was best to donate to someone who has been in the hobby or have someone personally invested in the school. Jim aka Gumby did a great job with it. It was sad to see he had so much loss. The school I don’t think really understood the repercussions. I maintained the Pioneer school tank for several years.

Ya, it was difficult to stop the hobby in general.   My 100 gallon was a LPS heaven.   My corals were growing so much and so fast that I had to just subdivide and give a bunch of stuff away.  I probably had over $1000 credit at Waves aquarium when Shaun ran it then I just gave a lot of animals to the club members here in town and a lot to people in the Corvallis/Albany area.

Kids, work, marriage...it left no time to properly care for the tank.   This was back in the day when auto top offs were new and controllers were in their infancy.  I bought one of the first controllers made by Digital Oceans with the Ice Cap dimming modules.   It was super cool for it's day.   We had pretty poor well water at the house which made things more challenging.   

I don't want to get into a larger tank again.   I really want a smaller tank that is much simpler - something around 20-25 gallons.  I am expecting that I will have to make 2 gallon water changes every other week and clean the glass off every couple of days.   I want to have a lps tank - with blastamousa's (spelling is wrong), candy cane (I can't remember the proper name), a real pretty small clam, some zoa's, etc.  Only two small fish - maybe a pair of clowns or a pair of banghia (Spelling??)  cardinal fish.

This won't happen for a couple of years - until I retire.   I also have to prime the pump to get better acceptance from my wife by getting her a gold fish tank so she can have her Oranda's.   I just need to figure out what I need to support these tanks.   It would be great if I need to have a RO-DI for the gold fish (so I can use it for the reef tank!).  😉

Edited by techymechy
  • Like 1