Looking for some aiptasia

LadAShark

4 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Too bad, I just threw out a big chunk of chaeto that had quite a few aiptasia in it.  Luckily my peppermint shrimp are keeping it under control in my display tank.

Too bad indeed. The next time you get such a bountiful harvest please let me know. I wouldn’t mind some chaeto at the moment either 😉

Have some in my tank, but nothing that’s easily accessible without tearing down my rockwork. I’m looking to get a lot to start an aiptasia culture. Does anybody have some they’re willing to loan to me... permanently? [emoji6]
I have some in my sump. Never tried scraping them off the glass, but I imagine I could. I'm in Scappoose. If you wanted to head this way, I could scrap off a decent little group.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have some in my sump. Never tried scraping them off the glass, but I imagine I could. I'm in Scappoose. If you wanted to head this way, I could scrap off a decent little group.

Dang Andrew, I don’t know that I’d advise trying to scrape off. I’d be afraid of the spores, or whatever they are, getting up into your display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, Lazyreefer said:

I have some rock covered in them, is that something you would want? 

Yes, that is something that I would want.

18 hours ago, techymechy said:

Just out of curosity, why do you want an aiptasia culture.   This is a legit question...I'm just trying to learn.

I have a large tank with a predatory reef. The only option for me are berghia nudibranches and the quantity I would need is prohibitively expensive. Berghia only eat aiptasia, so I would be using the aiptasia culture to keep a berghia culture fed, which would then increase in population until I have enough to take care of the aiptasia in the tank. If it works out well enough I could give back to the community too. 

It’s not really a good solution for anyone who can just keep peppermint shrimp, filefish, or copperband butterflies instead, but it’s the only one for me that will not be eaten by my triggerfish and/or won’t eat my corals.

That, and I find aiptasia pretty interesting. They’re used for a lot of studies on corals/anemones so keeping a culture will be interesting enough. But having them in my display (admittedly unintentionally) is not really a viable solution. 

Edited by LadAShark

On 8/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, Higher Thinking said:

I am interested but it is a long trip. I may pass by sometime down the line, if so I could hit you up then? If that works for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
 @danlu_gt Do your ReeFi's have a pre-set Aiptasia profile like you have for SPS, LPS, etc.? [emoji1787]
When you're not looking at your talk, they auto toggles to Aiptasia mode. ;-)

This was the arrangement I made with Berghia Consortium for sponsoring ReeFi development.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1