Blue jaw triggers

Nicknjo

So I lost my first blue jaw trigger in copper qt. Heartbroken I recently wanted to try again and since I was getting a wrasse too, I decided to try black molley qt. I was under the impression that bule throats were reef safebwith caution but this jerk has killed 4 molleys now. Now i have the molleys separated in a basket so he can't get to them but I have doubts to the reef safeness of blue jaw triggers. Has anyone else witnessed murderous carnage by a blue jaw or did I get the jeff dhalmer of triggers?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Nicknjo said:

So I lost my first blue jaw trigger in copper qt. Heartbroken I recently wanted to try again and since I was getting a wrasse too, I decided to try black molley qt. I was under the impression that bule throats were reef safebwith caution but this jerk has killed 4 molleys now. Now i have the molleys separated in a basket so he can't get to them but I have doubts to the reef safeness of blue jaw triggers. Has anyone else witnessed murderous carnage by a blue jaw or did I get the jeff dhalmer of triggers?

Fish are always opportunists, but also some are just more aggressive than others. It doesn’t help that mollies don’t have any capability to run or fight back. A big enough size difference could also double down on its predatory instincts. 

I’ve both seen my past niger and my current indian triggerfish alternate between being very docile and also fairly aggressive. Notably, it seems like both were a lot more aggressive in copper QT, whether it’s because of the copper, the tank size, or both, I don’t know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So an update to anyone interested... Wesson the trigger, finished his molley qt after having to keep the molleys in a makeshift acclimation box, and has been living peacefully in my reef. Only terror has been when he literally swam into my wife's hand as she was picking up a frag and sat there while she froze in fear[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]. Finally a fish who isn't afraid to hang out in the front of the tank all day.

• Like 1