xenia encrusting instead of growing stalks?

bler

So I have some (what I thought) was xenia (light purple frilly hands), but it doesn't seem to be growing stalks as well as not pulsing... it appears to be almost encrusting a single rock which it was originating from.  It is in a high flow/high light area.  It actually looks like it's growing from the crevices and not laying down any mat, maybe it was 'eradicated' from this rock and still remained somewhere?

Only reason I'm asking is because I don't want it overrunning my tank and need to prepare for damage control.  It started as a few isolated patches on some LR I acquired and has kinda popped up in other various areas (only on this single rock) as well as spreading from the original spots.  Luckily it's high up and I'm assuming will only try to grow up so shouldn't spread to other rocks but just trying to prepare.  I'll try to get some photos later.

the heads are small (~3mm from the tip of each arm to the opposing arms tip), you could be right they just might be clove polyps.. in fact I was reading they have 8 arms (which mine have) and appear to be slow growers (actually some coralline has overgrown a few areas this used to cover)

23 minutes ago, xxkenny90xx said:

I'm not sure how fast those cloves grow but I do know that they are very hard to get rid of and have over run quite a few peoples tanks... 

Yeah, I just relegated the rock they were on to the sump.  Thanks for all the info and help :) 

• Like 1