Researching 36” complete systems

Beth

I currently have a 40 breeder softy and LPS reef.  The size is perfect for me.  I prefer a KISS style system.  But In all my years in the hobby, I’ve been fearful of sumps and have always used hang-on equipment.

I am considering upgrading systems.  Either an all in one or possibly a super easy to put together sump system that is pretty much guaranteed not to flood - is there such a thing?

i need to stay with a 36” tank.  My goal is to have low iron / star fire glass, surface skimming, an auto top off and EASE of maintenance.  What is easier?? AIO or sump??

I've looked heavily at Waterbox.  Just started looking at Red Sea.  Are there any other systems I should be looking at?

Thanks!  

Edited by Beth
Typos

Sump is a million times easier. More space for higher quality equipment. AIO and hang on stuff is limited by space constraints and usually performs sub par (especially skimmers IMO).

All you need is a properly sized sump and you won’t have any flooding issues. As long as you have your returns setup to break siphon before the sump fills it’s pretty fool proof.

Waterbox and Red Sea are going to be nice tanks. There is also Reef Octopus and CADlights but they aren’t as widely used (would probably go with RS or WB).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had never owned a sump system until about 8 months ago, always had all-in-one systems. From my personal experience I feel that the sump system has been much simpler and more consistent. Like Blue Z said you have a much better selection for equipment that typically have much more high quality and efficiency.

Also I went to a 36" tank foot print, Red Sea reefer 250. Love the tank! Also you can typically find them used in great shape from people who decided to go bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go with a sump and you will never go back! I started very young with freshwater tanks so was used to having hang on filters, heaters in the tank etc. My first saltwater tank was an old 37 gallon freshwater tank I decided to turn into saltwater, I too was scared of a sump, mostly because I had never had one and hadn't researched them. I'd recommend either going to someone's house that has one setup and have them show you how everything works, seeing it in person is easier to understand than reading about it IMO, or watching videos could help you understand as well. Now looking back it would have been amazing to have sumps in my freshwater tanks, I will never have another tank without a sump. Like someone else mentioned drill holes in your return to break the siphon in case of a power outage and it will stop water continuing to flow in the tank, also not filling the sump all the way and leaving enough space in the sump for the backflow from the overflow with a power outage, you do those things and you're good, putting a lid on your overflow can help too so no fish end up going for ride and potentially clogging the pipes. Doing a visual inspection once a week or so just to make sure everything is in working order is good practice, but don't be scared of a sump! Once you actually have one you will be thrilled with how much cleaner everything looks without hob filters, heaters hanging in the tank, and any HOB skimmer I used to use now seems pretty useless over a good in sump Skimmer

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

On 7/12/2020 at 9:14 PM, Beth said:

I currently have a 40 breeder softy and LPS reef.  The size is perfect for me.  I prefer a KISS style system.  But In all my years in the hobby, I’ve been fearful of sumps and have always used hang-on equipment.

I am considering upgrading systems.  Either an all in one or possibly a super easy to put together sump system that is pretty much guaranteed not to flood - is there such a thing?

i need to stay with a 36” tank.  My goal is to have low iron / star fire glass, surface skimming, an auto top off and EASE of maintenance.  What is easier?? AIO or sump??

I've looked heavily at Waterbox.  Just started looking at Red Sea.  Are there any other systems I should be looking at?

Thanks!  

" Are there any other systems i should be looking at? "  Check out Neptunian Cube M90. It's a 35.5inch system. Neptuniancubeusa.com   

I have one in shop for looksies. Cabinet will never rott ( no wood ) All in One systems including sumps. Bottom cabinet is sealed, you could pour water in it and it wont make it to the wood floors ( Do not try with other tank set ups )

20200719_145422.jpg

20200719_145458.jpg

Edited by MrBret
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MrBret said:

" Are there any other systems i should be looking at? "  Check out Neptunian Cube M90. It's a 35.5inch system. Neptuniancubeusa.com   

I have one in shop for looksies. Cabinet will never rott ( no wood ) All in One systems including sumps. Bottom cabinet is sealed, you could pour water in it and it wont make it to the wood floors ( Do not try with other tank set ups )

20200719_145422.jpg

20200719_145458.jpg

I had never heard of these tanks until seeing them at Paradise and talking with @MrBret about them. They are really nice in person! The stands are awesome too! They are definitely up toward the top of my list for my next tank!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 8:44 AM, Toadpapa said:

Is there somewhere in Vancouver/Portland that sells the neptunian locally so we could look at it in person, they look awesome but not much we could find online. Was going to get a 425xl but exploring other options

paradise coral in Hillsboro has them in stock to look at

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 8:44 AM, Toadpapa said:

Is there somewhere in Vancouver/Portland that sells the neptunian locally so we could look at it in person, they look awesome but not much we could find online. Was going to get a 425xl but exploring other options

I would be your only Neptunian Cube Dealer. I have their tanks here to look at. Next shipment coming is getting close......come talk to me :)

30 minutes ago, MrBret said:

I would be your only Neptunian Cube Dealer. I have their tanks here to look at. Next shipment coming is getting close......come talk to me :)

Awesome will do. It’s a little jaunt from washougal but we will for sure come on out, maybe this weekend.  Looking forward to visiting. 

• Like 1