Does anyone buff acrylic tanks??

MrBret

Yeah, definitely recommend have someone do it! I recently broke down and buffed and polished my 50 gallon acrylic tank and it was definitely a project, I'd never done it before so I had to do a ton of research and bought a ton of supplies. Now I have the supplies to buff out scratches under water with the tank set up so that's pretty cool, I can do it with my Algae Free magnet cleaner and Mighty mesh, I'm so happy I did it, it looks absolutely amazing now. I can definitely see it going much smoother and faster with someone doing it that actually has experience and knows what they're doing! I actually posted an ad myself trying to find someone to do it but didn't have any luck finding anyone. Someone did mention trying a boat company that works on boats, I thought that was a pretty good idea but at that point I'd already decided to give it a go myself. Anyway good luck, hopefully you will be able to find someone to do it for you! I can't wait to see it set up, will likely be coming by the store this weekend if I have time, my daughter wants a Firefish or two and maybe another Hawaiian feather duster if you have any

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been thinking about going down this road too, mine would be with inhabited tank - i've been eyeing the LA Fishguys post on R2R/youtube. Interesteing TaylorW that you were able to use your Algae Free - one of the main reasons i had waited was the $200 price tag on the mighty magnet when I already have a Algae free. Maybe i'll just buy the sanding pads and try with my Algae free first.

https://www.mightymagnets.com/product/acrylic-scratch-removal-kit-b-2/

• Like 1

I've been thinking about going down this road too, mine would be with inhabited tank - i've been eyeing the LA Fishguys post on R2R/youtube. Interesteing TaylorW that you were able to use your Algae Free - one of the main reasons i had waited was the $200 price tag on the mighty magnet when I already have a Algae free. Maybe i'll just buy the sanding pads and try with my Algae free first.https://www.mightymagnets.com/product/acrylic-scratch-removal-kit-b-2/       

The LA Fish Guys video was definitely one of the videos I watched over and over, I ended up buying some Mighty Mesh and it worked flawlessly. It took some practice, you definitely have to start with a low grit and work your way up, I started with 800 and worked my way up to 12,000. I didn't have any really deep scratches though. I took my time and worked each area, the tough part I noticed was deciding if it was ok to start the next grit but I thought it ended up 100 percent better than it looked at the beginning. I finished it off with Novus and an acrylic buffing pad. Since I've buffed it I've had a couple scratches happen and I've buffed them out with my algae free Hammerhead and some mighty mesh and it's actually pretty easy, it gives me peace of mind knowing I can just buff them out under water now. One thing I also learned you sand your previous work away with the next step sandpaper so taking your time and making sure you completely get rid of the previous sanding with the next grit is important or you'll end up with fine scratches, and that means you didn't completely remove the previous work. Kind of a pain to learn but the end is worth it, I've never done anything like that but it's nice knowing I'll be able to keep it scratch free for as long as I decide to keep it, having this tank has made me really like acrylic tanks. No worrying about seams bursting or resealing over time like with glass tanks. A lot of people use regular wet dry sandpaper and run a hose on low to keep the tank wet and just do it outside, it seems to work great. If your tank is up and running though and you don't want to drain it it's definitely worth it to buy the mighty mesh, I decided to drain it and use the mighty mesh so I could use my Hammerhead. I didn't have much in that tank at the time so it wasn't a big deal to just move it to a different tank temporarily. Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk