Time To Kill The Clove Polyps

TheClark

Seems like in this hobby, we just move from one problem to another some times.  Last problem was aptasia, now highly invasive brown clove polyps.

Anyone have experience with Fish Bendazole for this task?  I have read some, just looking for local experience.

My main concern is a very special clam.  

Otherwise my system is at an all time record for growth and color, things not touching clove polyps are doing great.

Oddly, only the frag tank has them, none in the DT.  Surely they would spread here as well.  Thinking maybe some fish is eating them?  Maybe I could transfer said fish to frag tank.  Candidates are tangs (yellow, Nasa, hippo, clown), Magnificent Fox Face, wrasse?

Experiment idea:  Place a frag from frag tank in view.  Watch to see who eats the polyps.  Risk:  Polyps end up in the DT :)

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Took about 30 seconds, decided to toss a frag into the DT.  Naso tang immediately chewed on it with yellow coris wrasse watching intently.  Perhaps that is the secret...  Add a tang to the frag tank...

Maybe it's a tag-team deal and you have to add both 😁

• Haha 1

I've gone through blue clove polyps, twice.   And am currently left with a healthy crop of Brown clove polyps.  Couldn't kill them in my last Kill them Attempt.

Advice, Don't Ignore them.   

• If they're on something removable - sacrifice it and kill the whole rock.  
  • If not, medicate them - Don't be a Baby - Go FULL STRENGTH ++.  (I've done triple recommended dose, without pain

Have you checked my earlier thread(s).  (PNWMAS, and its referenced thread on R2R)

• Like 1

@TheClark, I've probably read the same articles as you. Overall it seems promising. The biggest thing, as I'm sure you know, is to watch out for the secondary implications from all the die off.
@SuncrestReef, I would be so quick to snatch that whole rock out of my tank. I'd give it a localized fenbendazole bath. Kill those polyps ASAP. It'll ultimately spread through the water column. I ended up with it in places where there was clearly not a direct path. Who knows, maybe a fish or snail helps spread them along? At any rate, nothing to be passive about.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I’m lucky the only clove polyps in my tank are completely surrounded on an island rock by monti’s and mushrooms.  They haven’t been able to spread since I first noticed them over a year ago.

Kill Them, Kill Them NOW.   I thought the same thing when mine first showed up.  Really cool, actually looked great, and contained.   One by One, polyp by polyp, they popped up in weird places in the tank.  I know my tuxedo urchin has picked a few up and moved them.   I've seen it.

16 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

I've gone through blue clove polyps, twice.   And am currently left with a healthy crop of Brown clove polyps.  Couldn't kill them in my last Kill them Attempt.

Advice, Don't Ignore them.   

• If they're on something removable - sacrifice it and kill the whole rock.  
  • If not, medicate them - Don't be a Baby - Go FULL STRENGTH ++.  (I've done triple recommended dose, without pain

Have you checked my earlier thread(s).  (PNWMAS, and its referenced thread on R2R)

Too late for me... 8' frag tank full of them.   Will check out your thread, thanks!! :)

14 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

And thus my advice to @SuncrestReef

Advice noted.  I keep a very close eye on my tank, so if a clove polyp shows up somewhere else I'll notice right away.  My aiptasia laser can wipe them out in 30 seconds.  Until then, I like how they look mixed in with the monti's and mushrooms, and since they haven't spread for over a year, I'm not about to panic.

• Like 1