Not secure

kknight

It's actually an option with the hosting they have. They have to pay for the certificate, yearly renewal, but I think that's it. It's a non-significant cost, but it cost nonetheless. With more sites using SSL or TLS, it's pretty common. Might be something to look into.

As it stands, your username and password are being sent in the clear. Somebody at the ISP or on your wireless network could sniff out your password. It's a good idea to never use the same password on any site anyways. I use something like LastPass to organize my passwords. All I have to know is this single password to get into that and any multi-factor authentication to use it. It makes it pretty simple, even my mom uses it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Micah said:

It's actually an option with the hosting they have. They have to pay for the certificate, yearly renewal, but I think that's it. It's a non-significant cost, but it cost nonetheless. With more sites using SSL or TLS, it's pretty common. Might be something to look into.

As it stands, your username and password are being sent in the clear. Somebody at the ISP or on your wireless network could sniff out your password. It's a good idea to never use the same password on any site anyways. I use something like LastPass to organize my passwords. All I have to know is this single password to get into that and any multi-factor authentication to use it. It makes it pretty simple, even my mom uses it.

Something to consider for sure.  Jeremy @TheClark do you know what this would cost on an annual basis?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, albertareef said:

Something to consider for sure.  Jeremy @TheClark do you know what this would cost on an annual basis?

It may depend on your hosting.  They may require you to use their own CA.  If that's the case, you should probably reach out to them.    If you can use any ole cert, then there are budget cert companies out there that will at least remove the "NOT SECURE" message - though it won't be as good as say Rudy's 60 dollar cert (assuming it's a verisign/other large brand). 

• Thanks 1