Jump to content

It has begun...


jtarmitage
 Share

Recommended Posts

I combined my main display and frag systems into a single sump, and had to deal with a frag tank that split, so it's been slow getting to this point, but I'm just about ready to slide the tank into place. The plumbing is already in place, so will just need to add the final connections after moving the tank. Then comes the closed loop and cabinetry work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Dang, you have had a busy weekend! Everything looks tidy and compact, nice job on the organization downstairs.

 

what size display is going in there?

That was the old setup. It worked well, but was right where the 270g tank was going through the wall. 

The heart of my fishroom is still a bit of a mess, but coming along...

 

20200518_165321.jpg

20200518_165331.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

That looks great.  Is the plan to have it straddle the wall long term?  (half into the room, half out of the room)

Yep. It will stick out 12".  Cant have it out much further without intruding on the walkway and cant put it all the way back (even if I wanted to) without blocking access to the fish/storage room. The tank is 6' x 3' x 2'.  I will be building a canopy for the front to close it in on that side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jtarmitage said:

Yep. It will stick out 12".  Cant have it out much further without intruding on the walkway and cant put it all the way back (even if I wanted to) without blocking access to the fish/storage room. The tank is 6' x 3' x 2'.  I will be building a canopy for the front to close it in on that side.

I contemplated the same configuration.   Take my 4'x2'x'2' tank, and make it 4x4x2, but still only sticking out 2'.   Put that project on hold, and instead remodeled the fish room to add frag tanks.   Given the new sump/plumbing locations, new tank can no longer poke back into the fish room equip room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

And thanks to Dave, I was able to finish filling it up tonight. Had a leaky true union ball valve causing me grief, but we have water flowing...

As you can see, I've made some progress on the canopy. I've got the doors built being stained now. Rock work and sand is in. Still need to get the lights up, install a few electrical outlets, and troubleshoot the Oceans Motions 4 way under the tank as it's not turning. Then I get to start cleaning up the fish room lol. 

20200607_235615.jpg

20200531_163229.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instructions from Ocean motions on how to lube the unit.  May just be stuck from sitting.  They are REALLY high quality motors and I doubt that there is a problem.  

Maintenance is fairly simple..remove the two screws that hold the grey motor mount to the black lid.. then remove four screws that hold the black lid to the main body, remove the black lid sometimes the drum comes with it sometimes not ,extract the drum, temporarily put the motor back on to the black lid and if the drum did not come out with the lid then reinstall it below. Holding the motor in one hand rotate the drum to 45 degrees in the other hand to separate the magnets. Wipe down all components, apply Dow Corning 111 to either side of the black lid (you can substitute with KY jelly or Vaseline)though Dow Corning 111 is the best. Re-assemble and you are good to go.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Reefreef said:

Instructions from Ocean motions on how to lube the unit.  May just be stuck from sitting.  They are REALLY high quality motors and I doubt that there is a problem.  

Maintenance is fairly simple..remove the two screws that hold the grey motor mount to the black lid.. then remove four screws that hold the black lid to the main body, remove the black lid sometimes the drum comes with it sometimes not ,extract the drum, temporarily put the motor back on to the black lid and if the drum did not come out with the lid then reinstall it below. Holding the motor in one hand rotate the drum to 45 degrees in the other hand to separate the magnets. Wipe down all components, apply Dow Corning 111 to either side of the black lid (you can substitute with KY jelly or Vaseline)though Dow Corning 111 is the best. Re-assemble and you are good to go.

 

Thanks.  I've had an OM 4 way on all of my big tanks for the last 15 years.  Love them, as I can shy away from pumps in the tank itself.  I had taken the unit apart for cleaning before setting it up, but failed to fully lock the drum into the rotating assembly, so it was just able to pop lose and not spin the drum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Pictures.  Snap a few when you pull the Ocean Motions unit apart.   Sounds really interesting.

I didn't even think to do that.  I was up late last night fixing the 1 remaining leak and taking the unit apart.  It's essentially a drum inside a drum with a magnetic assembly that connects to the motor at the top of the unit.  the outer drum has 4 holes at each quarter to connect to the plumbing to the tank.  The inner drum has 1-3 holes in it, depending on the model chosen.  This one has 2 opposing holes.  So, 2 of the 4 lines will have flow at a time.  As the drum spin, it closes off those 2 lines and opens the other 2, creating a semi-random flow in the tank from a single pump.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Savo said:

What kind of tank is that? It’s gorgeous 

 

5 hours ago, Reefreef said:

That is a custom AGE glass hybrid tank.  That was PDXmonkeyboy's tank.  He built the stand himself.  That dude is a god, but he got booted from the forum.

Right on all counts.  It's glass bonded to a PVC bottom, with a nearly coast to coast shadow type overflow in the tank, with the main overflow box externally.  From the edge of the wall, around the back, to the other edge of the wall it's wrapped in black vinyl.  A single 1.5" intake in the middle of the back wall feeds 4 closed loop returns in the bottom of the tank, which I managed to completely hide in the rock work.

And Brian is a God...Insane as well....lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for tonight's work, I managed to get the 4 Radions hung on an RMS rail, got the 2 electrical boxes wired up and working and tucked away the cords a bit.  I picked up 1 Gen 2 and 3 Gen 3 XR30's and a Reeflink.  Now if I can manage to get the dang Reeflink to find the lights......Also got a coat of stain on the doors.  2 more coats and that will be done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jtarmitage said:

 

Right on all counts.  It's glass bonded to a PVC bottom, with a nearly coast to coast shadow type overflow in the tank, with the main overflow box externally.  From the edge of the wall, around the back, to the other edge of the wall it's wrapped in black vinyl.  A single 1.5" intake in the middle of the back wall feeds 4 closed loop returns in the bottom of the tank, which I managed to completely hide in the rock work.

And Brian is a God...Insane as well....lol.

It is indeed a really nice tank - glad it found a good home.  I like the stand a lot as well... very sharp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, albertareef said:

It is indeed a really nice tank - glad it found a good home.  I like the stand a lot as well... very sharp.

It is, though I plan on wrapping it to match the canopy.  Though that will be a project for a later date as it functions as is for now lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...