Pump

Bicyclebill

I've got a pair on my 110g.  I really like them with 1 caveat...the magnets, at least on the older models, are on the weak side.  I'm not sure if they have addressed the issue already or not for new ones.  It's not really a problem on my tank, but the pumps do a little back and forth shimmy on pulse mode sometimes.  They haven't shifted positions or fallen, just do a little dance from time to time lol.

They move a ton of water, are low profile, and don't have the awful MP40 ramping sounds as they are IN the tank...

1 hour ago, Bicyclebill said:

Anyone running the new Nero 5 pumps for recirculation? One of my Gyres just seized up so I am in market for two new recirculation pumps

Just curious...What model of Gyre seized up, and how old was it?  I use a Maxspect XF-230 so I'm curious about the lifespan.

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Just curious...What model of Gyre seized up, and how old was it?  I use a Maxspect XF-230 so I'm curious about the lifespan.

Good question. If it happens to be a 150 or 250 I wouldn’t mind having the corpse for spares as I just picked up a set of used ones. 

4 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

XF230. The other one is perfect, but these are a pain to take the actual magnet out of the body. The controller display has gone a little haywire, and it doesn't appear there are spare parts anywhere for these. They've lasted me several years now, so I'm not unhappy at all. I ordered some Nero 5's though since I've been wanting to see what they'd look like in my tank. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

and it doesn't appear there are spare parts anywhere for these

FWIW - there are a fair number of items still available through CoralVue for these, including the older controllers and motor blocks...

https://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-advanced-gyre-controller

not saying they are cheap or even worth the cost but they are out there.  I just had to buy a set of magnet mounts for one of the 250s I picked up.

• Like 2