Can anybody help me identify this invert on my toadstool leather?

Mark F.

Hello!

Newer coral tank keeper here. This little featherduster dude (see picture) has been growing quite a bit on my toadstool leather coral over the last few weeks, and I'm a little worried.

1. Does anybody happen to know what it is?

2. Is this something I should remove?

3. If so, anyone have any recommendations for how? I can't tell whether its attached to the top or growing through my coral.

4. I just did a 2 gal. water change two days ago in my 10 gal., and the leather hasn't come out since. Salinity and temperature look pretty comparable to what they were before the water change. Should I be worried about that?

4. If anyone has any recommendations just from looking at the picture of my tank in general, I'm open to that feedback as well!

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice!

-Mark

IMG-6083.thumb.jpeg.b74cbb142bab9c683cca07edcc258285.jpeg

They just look like feather dusters to me, if you don't like them you can easily remove them. You've got some serious hair algae going on too! I'd start pulling out as much as possible by hand if I were you, maybe get some Phosphate RX first, wait for the algae to weaken then it's super easy to remove. Sorry I know you were asking about the feather dusters but your hair Algae looks pretty bad, I'd personally be more worried about that. Once you've removed as much as possible by hand (will take time) you can also use a small tube attached to a small pump and suck it out once you've weakened it, then get yourself a bunch of hermits and maybe an Urchin to take care of the rest. For that much hair algae you're going to have to get your hand wet

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When I had my toadstool it was notorious for closing up for a week and even up to a month after a water change and the boom one morning it would open up and be considerably bigger.  Didn't happen every water change, maybe every third or fourth.  As long as it doesn't look like it's melting or totally shriveled up it's probably just getting ready to grow a bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Thanks, Taylor! When you say, "easily remove them", can I just do it manually? Like, with chopsticks or something?

-M

They just look like feather dusters to me, if you don't like them you can easily remove them. You've got some serious hair algae going on too! I'd start pulling out as much as possible by hand if I were you, maybe get some Phosphate RX first, wait for the algae to weaken then it's super easy to remove. Sorry I know you were asking about the feather dusters but your hair Algae looks pretty bad, I'd personally be more worried about that. Once you've removed as much as possible by hand (will take time) you can also use a small tube attached to a small pump and suck it out once you've weakened it, then get yourself a bunch of hermits and maybe an Urchin to take care of the rest. For that much hair algae you're going to have to get your hand wet

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk