Hello from Tacoma

Reefreef

Hello there,

A friend in portland told me about this site. Hopefully there are some Tacoma people around. I dont have a tank yet, but I want to start out with a pretty big tank.  Something like 1,000 gallons.  I dont see many tanks like that around.  

Is that too big? 

• Like 1

Welcome, I'm out in yelm so not to far from you. 1k tank is definitely something big lol. So much to take into account but if you got the space, the funds and enough structural support under your floor for 4 tons of water that would certainly be something special.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Welcome [emoji4] and WOW 1,000 gallons!! That is absolutely big by most people's standards I'd think. That's something I'd expect to see at an Aquarium or maybe a Zoo. I think most would consider a 200 gallon large, 1,000 would definitely take a lot of time and $$$$, especially for a first tank. Do you have a tank builder in mind? I don't know much about the whole structural support topic with larger tanks (I've never owned anything larger than a 120) but in your case I'd almost guarantee it's a topic you'd need to look into lol.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

wow, that is enormous! It's do-able, but not common. Common advice is to expect to spend $40-50 per gallon for a new well-appointed setup. I might actually expect a little higher for this level of tank because some of the parts break across to the commercial side.  You probably want at least a 200g sump and 50-100g topoff reservoir, redundancy like crazy, monitoring all over, including power consumption monitoring (a good way to ensure pumps are still working, for example, is the watts they're pulling).

1000 gallons, I'd probably plan on extremely long or cube-ish enough that you can actually get in the thing.  I'd think maybe 13-16ft long, 4ft wide, and 2-2.5ft tall so you can mostly reach everything (assuming you have complete access front and back). or I might do something like 5-6ft long, 4ft deep and 5-6 ft tall and plan to get in the thing at least every other week for maintenance.

Honestly, if I was doing more than 800g, I'd probably try for 1500-2000 and just plan on snorkeling for maintenance. In any case, I'd try to plan on a 200g sump with 100g topoff in a separate 100sq ft room dedicated to supporting the tank, preferably more like 200sq ft room. What inhabitants do you want? predators? corals? sponges? clownfish? tangs? the inhabitants you're attracted to probably dictate more than anything else.

Oh, and I'm up near Bothell, not too far from Tacoma. From my experience, Barrier Reef (Renton) and Saltwater City (Bellevue) would both be excellent LFS for you, I also like Denny's in Kirkland, but that's getting kinda far for you. not sure what else is down your way, but I think I've heard good things about Sierra's.

Hey reefreef I'm in tacoma as well. My only advice for a tank that large is if you build it out of plywood you'll save thousands. Dominic over at aquarium paradise in lakewood has a large plywood tank in the store that he had built, I'd go talk to him about it. That tank is also where my puffer Gilbert lives now! 

Lol the front pane is usually acrylic. The rest is plywood. I think the owner at aquarium paradise said it cost like 1500 or 2000 to make opposed to having an acrylic tank built and shipped for like 15,000
I'm curious about that too, I'm guessing the tank itself isn't actually plywood or you'd have a giant saltwater mess lol. You say the front panel is acrylic, what about the rest? I was wondering this yesterday when I saw it

Oh my gosh I just looked up plywood tanks, I never knew this was a thing! Apparently they're built for very large tanks. Three sides and the bottom are plywood while the front is thick glass or acrylic, they use some sort of strong epoxy or something to coat the actual plywood and I'm assuming paint the inside black or blue. Interesting [emoji848], honestly if that's what you have to do for a giant tank I think I'd stick with something under 500 gallons lol. That seems like a lot of work

• Like 1

Although this thread stalled in February, it's short and read it.  Pretty good pictures on making a large plywood tank.  

And another thread about building an 800g plywood tank.  A longer thread, but includes build and full year of life.  Including what it takes to start populating a tank this big.

Enjoy

• Like 1