We are all essential!

Emerald525

I posted this on my FB page but wanted to also share this with my reefing community as well. I don’t have a tank up right now but I still think about you all and consider you my family and when this quarantine is over we are planning a big party for you all at the new house!

Facebook friends sorry for the long post. I just felt like I needed to say this :

On my run today I was thinking about all of you. For those of you who don’t know I am a pediatrician. While I take care of kids I also care very much about their parents. I have heard so many times from mothers and fathers : “I’m not worried about me”. “ I don’t care about me I just want to make sure my son/daughter are ok.” I tell them you DO matter. Your children need you and like the flight attendants say “Put your OWN mask on first” I know you are scared but the good news is from what we have seen in other countries children show great resilience which is a double edged sword because they can also spread the illnesses to more vulnerable members of our community. This doesn’t mean that I don’t take precautions to avoid spreading the virus to them.

Mentally I am exhausted. While many of you are home I’m actually working more than normal.  Please know I am happy to have my job and am happy to do what I can to put peoples minds at ease. Yesterday I worked from home and fielded nearly 80 phone calls from 9am to 5pm and today I can’t even look at my computer. Tomorrow I am at a different clinic that is further away since my clinic was shut down and I am assigned to see the ill children and will be carefully donning PPE and trying to keep it clean so it can be reused. 

My brother told me that people were banging pans and setting off fireworks yesterday for healthcare workers. That struck me as strange because I don’t think my job is any more important than any of yours. The term essential worker  does not sit well with me because your job isn’t any more or less important than my job. We all have strengths and different skills and we all bring value to our community and you are missed at work. Many of you have helped me because as some of you know I have a very specific skill set and I follow the adage “stick with what you know”. I focus my brain power on learning all there is to know about pediatrics and I love that even if I read for hours every day I still wouldn’t know it all.  So needless to say I’m not going to pick up a DIY plumbing book any time soon. (I did once and it wasn’t pretty 😬).

For those of you who are also bothered by the nonessential moniker - please know that you  do matter and you are important and you ARE essential to so many people. I can feel the anxiety in the air and please know you are not alone. We are in this together and we will get through it.  For those of you who feel helpless there are so many ways you can help. Staying positive helps. The thumbs up one of you have me on my run helped. Refraining from the name calling and finger pointing that happens so much on social media helps.  Left right black white up down we are more alike then different. Stay healthy stay safe keep your distance and use your common sense. I am here for you all. #community #weareallessential

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well said Kim!  But I do think a special shout out to all the front line health care providers (whether via fireworks or a simple thumbs up) is well warranted in these circumstances so count me among those who appreciate your contributions and the added risk those working directly with patients incur.  That said, I agree, we are all in this together and all of us are essential in our own way.  Stay well (both physically and mentally) everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but gonna say it anyways, huge thanks to you Kim and all you work with.  :clap:

You guys are fighting this battle / war, we are supporting however we can but it just doesn't compare. 

Same thanks to grocery store personnel like @Chief

Thanks to food bank operators, truck drivers...

Same thanks to others I am not remembering.

Be safe, stay healthy and all the best to you and those you work with.

My daughter and I have been cranking out hundreds of PPE face shields and sending them all over the country.  It's a small way to help but we are loving it.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TheClark said:

Sorry, but gonna say it anyways, huge thanks to you Kim and all you work with.  :clap:

You guys are fighting this battle / war, we are supporting however we can but it just doesn't compare. 

Same thanks to grocery store personnel like @Chief

Thanks to food bank operators, truck drivers...

Same thanks to others I am not remembering.

Be safe, stay healthy and all the best to you and those you work with.

My daughter and I have been cranking out hundreds of PPE face shields and sending them all over the country.  It's a small way to help but we are loving it.  

That’s pretty awesome that you are doing that! I have seen several posts where people in the reefing community are breaking out the 3D printers and making things to help the hospitals ! The reefing community has some truly amazing resourceful people. This is what I mean.  It takes everyone helping to beat this current situation. 

• Like 3