Booooooorrrreeed!

Jack-the-reefer

11 hours ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

Yep. I didn’t want to drill more than one hole.
The drain is 3/4”, and I have 1/2” vinyl tube running up the inside of the drain. 

Nice solution.   looks clean.

11 hours ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

I’m also lucky to have a place that I can let this thing grow in while I figure out the rest of the setup. 
The base is an old cutting board I cut to fit.  I wanted something I could easily remove as one piece when the gsp needs a trim. 

I'll admit it, I love the look of gsp.   I haven't kept them for a Long time, after learning what they can do in a tank.  but I still love them.   I wonder if I could keep them in a Aux tank (like the size you setup), plumbed into the main water system.    Hmm, I better not risk it.

9 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'll admit it, I love the look of gsp.   I haven't kept them for a Long time, after learning what they can do in a tank.  but I still love them.   I wonder if I could keep them in a Aux tank (like the size you setup), plumbed into the main water system.    Hmm, I better not risk it.

If I had room by my main tank, I would totally do that. 

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Nice solution.   looks clean.

It's funny - I had gsp growing on the overflow box of my old tank for years and it never spread onto the rock work or anywhere else it the tank.  Guess I just got lucky 🤗

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

This thing was starting to fill in really nice. Maybe a little too nice, because someone decided they wanted to buy it from me. 

On to the next one.  

It's a pretty good hobby, if you can break even from each build - and build up some reefing friends in the process.   

Here are my next two ideas.  Let me know what everybody thinks. I’ll focus on whichever one people want to see more. 

The black one is 22”x 6” x 5”, and holds about 3 gallons. My plan is to have it sit in a cabinet so it’s flush with the top. I’m not sure on stocking plans, but easy stuff for sure. 

The second one is a 7” glass cube that holds just under 2 gallons.  I think it would  be cool with a single bubble tip anemone and porcelain crab. 

Both would be complete with sumps and ato. 

20722495-B358-40B6-86E9-05BF6E81FC44.jpeg

16B1C048-5CAE-4CC9-B680-14612A767C71.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

Here are my next two ideas.  Let me know what everybody thinks. I’ll focus on whichever one people want to see more. 

The black one is 22”x 6” x 5”, and holds about 3 gallons. My plan is to have it sit in a cabinet so it’s flush with the top. I’m not sure on stocking plans, but easy stuff for sure. 

20722495-B358-40B6-86E9-05BF6E81FC44.jpeg

I like the idea of a tops down only viewing of the black one.   Being long and narrow, feels like it needs something special to accentuate the longness of it.   How about two alternating return pumps, one on each end.   And put things inside that will sway with the current (gorgonians, gsp, ...) and is there any animals that will naturally switch directions and face into the current.   Coral Banded Shrimp, Blue Chromis, two cleaner shrimp with the big racing stripe down the middle...

Is there a way so one end is the overflow, other end is the return flow source.    and then make them switch roles.   the first end is the return flow, and the other end is the overflow.   Thus a clean back and forth action.    Oh, what would be awesome could be eel grass and pipefish.  

7 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Is there a way so one end is the overflow, other end is the return flow source.    and then make them switch roles.   the first end is the return flow, and the other end is the overflow.   Thus a clean back and forth action.    Oh, what would be awesome could be eel grass and pipefish.  

I’m thinking something along these lines, only 100% more simple. 
You’re giving my engineering abilities way too much credit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...