HYDROS looks promising

SuncrestReef

Does look promising. I just picked up their 2k gyres to use alongside the controls when they come out. However their Hydros app UI/UX leaves a lot to be desired and gives me concern the system will be a mess to control or use. Looks like they let engineers design the UI. A Shame but maybe they will improve on it. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Does look promising. I just picked up their 2k gyres to use alongside the controls when they come out. However their Hydros app UI/UX leaves a lot to be desired and gives me concern the system will be a mess to control or use. Looks like they let engineers design the UI. A Shame but maybe they will improve on it. 

They've been keeping the new UI and programming under tight wraps so far.  There was a brief demo video from MACNA, but nothing in depth yet.  I'm withholding any opinion until I see the new product, features, and UI officially revealed.

• 1 year later...

I just implemented the Hydros on my tank and it was super simple to setup. I currently only have the $450 Control4 unit monitoring my temp & ph with sensors in my sump return & ATO reservoir to control the $80 Hydros ATO. I also have the $40 skimmer sensor to shut off my skimmer when it gets full. The two drive ports on the controller are running my ATO pump and an ebay 12v 3/8" solenoid for my CO2 scrubber recirculation. I also setup a DIY 5 button box plugged into one of the 1-10v ports; currently only triggering feeding and water change modes.

It's a great value and super easy controller to setup.  Shoutout to All Things Aquariums in Wilsonville for the fast order! 

Here's the not so great....

The wifi power strip and wifi single outlet products are very inexpensive but not so great:

1. Only the single $25 outlet wifi device will monitor current. The 4 outlet $40 strip will not measure current.
  2. It is difficult for these to consistently connect to your router if you are running 2.4 & 5ghz on the same network SSID. They only work on 2.4g. I had to give my 5g network a different SSID to get the outlets to connect consistently. I've had this same issue with other devices, such as the inkbird wifi temp controller.
  3. Both REQUIRE wifi to function. They won't even turn on without being able to communicate with the Hydros controller via wifi. There is no hard-wired option to control power outlets. If the power goes out and your wifi router doesn't boot back up when the power returns, the Hydros wifi power strip outlets will remain in the off position! There is no way to default them to the ON position. I've put my router on a UPS to help mitigate this issue but I won't put my circ pumps on the wifi powers strips until they come out with a hard-wired option. This is the same for the single wifi outlet device.

I believe they are working on a hardwired outlet product but the 'everything' shortage is delaying it's release.

Edited by jtichenor
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

CoralVue just announced an 8 outlet wired controller! This can be hard-wired into their other controllers via can-bus OR it can be used stand-alone as it is also a controller and can control other wifi devices. Each outlet can monitor power. This solves everything I didn't like about the Hydros system.

image.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jtichenor said:

CoralVue just announced an 8 outlet wired controller! This can be hard-wired into their other controllers via can-bus OR it can be used stand-alone as it is also a controller and can control other wifi devices. Each outlet can monitor power. This solves everything I didn't like about the Hydros system.

image.png

@Lexinverts Take a look at this.

• Like 1