Bad asterina?

BeardUp

I thought my asterinas were cool, until I had 100’s of them - and then I’d find them like you did and my corals started declining.   

apparently there is a wide variety of species.  Some are ignorable, some are voracious. Mine were middle of the road. 

I pulled 50 out, per day, by hand for multiple weeks.  Finally gave in and got the shrimp.  They were awesome and cleaned them out.   Caught shrimp, returned to shop.  That was est 9months ago.  I’ve recently found 1-2 new stars, just plucking out by hand.   

my view, if you can grab them with tweezers - just remove them.  Better safe than sorry. 

41 minutes ago, BeardUp said:

Cool. Thanks! I do have a bit of algae right now due to a bunch of die off. I had a thermometer break and short my heating controller while I was away and the temp went to 70. I am fine with him cleaning but don't need to have any more coral go!

The worst stuff always happens when away, if only the lottery had those odds. 

1 minute ago, Oregonic said:

The worst stuff always happens when away, if only the lottery had those odds. 

Right? I thought I was covered with 2 thermometers, but they were both plugged in to the same ink bird. At least I had that on a fuse so it did not trip the pumps too. 

I had a bunch of the white asterina in the past but stopped seeing them a couple of years ago. 

7 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I thought my asterinas were cool, until I had 100’s of them - and then I’d find them like you did and my corals started declining.   

apparently there is a wide variety of species.  Some are ignorable, some are voracious. Mine were middle of the road. 

my view, if you can grab them with tweezers - just remove them.  Better safe than sorry. 

I tried.  I got him off the coral but he slipped through my fingers and I lost him in the rock. 

The harlequin look cool, he would eat my pistol shrimp and hermits though right?