Disappearing Trigger?

Gil&Fin

15 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

No night vision on that thing?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well it is supposed to have night vision, but it only turns on when it detects movement.  I'm not really sure how this works, though--if the night vision only turns on when it detects movement, but it doesn't detect movement because the lights are off, then nothing gets recorded.  You would think that someone smarter than me has figured a way around this...

14 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Holly, do you have an ORP probe in your tank? If so, look at the reading over the last day. If it is rapidly dropping, it means he is crammed in a rock somewhere dead.

I lost two blue throats by apparantly having them say "hey, I think I can fit in here" and then they couldn't.

Hope he turns up!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No ORP but I just happened to have checked nitrates a couple of days ago and I was at .5-ish.  Same today.

I did go through all of Manny's @Manny Tavansuggestions again (lights, overflow, even the frag tanks lol) and also checked in crevices in the rockwork like Brian @pdxmonkeyboysuggests.  No dice.

Thanks for all the ideas and well-wishes, everyone!  I'm going to chalk this up to one of the many mysteries we encounter in keeping a reef tank.

• Sad 1

Oh my gosh you guys crack me up! Well, the mystery is solved...sort of. I found him dead and decomposing in the rock work. I swear he wasn't there yesterday, but maybe I wasn't looking at that exact spot.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that Brian@pdxmonkeyboy wins the prize money for guessing that the trigger simply got stuck in the rocks. There is no conclusive evidence of course, but most of the alternative explanations (anemone, jumping, alien abduction, or kidnapped by husband) are now ruled out.

d831ca3a2ba785fd13d59379d108dd34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

So I won a dead fish carcass!!! :)

Sorry Holly. I have lost three of those fish..I'm just cursed. Two got smashed in rocks and one got sucked into my closed loop inlet when I forgot to put the strainer back on.

But now you can get a cross hatch!!

What a great suggestion!  They are a friendly, inexpensive fish.  Great idea!

• Haha 1

Ok, not a crosshatch then.

I currently have the "fish of regret" it is absolutely gorgeous but to say that it is an aggressive and ravenous predator is the understatement of the year.

Not sure what I was thinking when I got him. Kind of analogous to thinking a stripper would make a good girlfriend.

It would go great in your tank though....386bb59957b0cfbb46b9736e5b22315b.jpg

• Haha 1

Accidentally having become the owner of an Indian Trigger (when I had actually ordered the Hawaiian Black Trigger 😠), I can say that the Indian Trigger is a fairly docile and interesting option if you are looking for a trigger to take its place. I have never seen it do anything besides try to steal food 😜. If you can find one, its cousin the Hawaiian Black triggerfish would likely also likely be an interesting option. 

Just my 2¢

Indian triggerfish:

1858D32B-0631-4A55-8688-CAF423062993.jpeg

Hawaiian Black Triggerfish:

165A45CF-8780-4293-BFED-A416CB6ECB71.jpeg

My Indian Trigger from around a year back (I don’t take many pictures, so nothing recent, sorry :blush::

78E48493-ADAB-4E2D-96E8-67BA569CC090.jpeg

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Ok, not a crosshatch then.

I currently have the "fish of regret" it is absolutely gorgeous but to say that it is an aggressive and ravenous predator is the understatement of the year.

Not sure what I was thinking when I got him. Kind of analogous to thinking a stripper would make a good girlfriend.

It would go great in your tank though....386bb59957b0cfbb46b9736e5b22315b.jpg

That is actually a beautiful fish, as is the crosshatch.  I just don't have nerves of steel like you do.  I would be constantly worried about losing my other fish and inverts.  I do have the sense to know that a stripper would not make a good girlfriend, though.

Edited by Gil&Fin
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

That is actually a beautiful fish, as is the crosshatch.  I just don't have nerves of steal like you do.  I would be constantly worried about losing my other fish and inverts.  I do have the sense to know that a stripper would not make a good girlfriend, though.

Why stop at a crosshatch?

C3E7CEBE-366A-4E52-84F3-09A6EFA0BD97.jpeg

Pay the sharp pointy teeth no heed. 😉

Look at its beautiful smile:

4E0D8CEB-FE81-4207-8ACC-D5034FA6A8E4.jpeg

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Gil&Fin said:

Oh my gosh you guys crack me up! Well, the mystery is solved...sort of. I found him dead and decomposing in the rock work. I swear he wasn't there yesterday, but maybe I wasn't looking at that exact spot.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that Brian@pdxmonkeyboy wins the prize money for guessing that the trigger simply got stuck in the rocks. There is no conclusive evidence of course, but most of the alternative explanations (anemone, jumping, alien abduction, or kidnapped by husband) are now ruled out.

d831ca3a2ba785fd13d59379d108dd34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Sorry Holly... was hoping for a different outcome.  I'll have to give this Disappearing Trigger? a rotten tomato-meter at RottenTomatoes.com for the bad ending. 

• Haha 1