Disappearing Trigger?

Gil&Fin

I know we've all had fish disappear on us, but a 7-8 inch, fat, bluethroat trigger??? It was perfectly healthy swimming around yesterday and today it is gone. Just gone. After extensive questioning, the dogs, anemone, and wily cleaner shrimp have all been cleared. It is a mystery.

Here is a pic of my 300 gallon with the vlamingii and trigger near the top of the tank. It was a big freakin' fish!

RIP big guy, wherever you are. e0a89512a18528e508fa22b815bf9d30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

I remember looking at it during the last sale and it reminded me of mind that would always jump out. Did you look on top of the lights?
I actually did. I feel like I am going to find him somewhere weird like that.

Is that a carpet anemone on the right side of the tank? 

I have seen them eat fish much larger than 8”...
Me too, but the nem is not that big...not that he couldn't do it but I would be really surprised. I've been working in the tank a lot over the past day and he would have had to digest the trigger pretty fast, with no regurgitation, bones, nothing. Not impossible though. Good eye btw!

Someone needs to invent RFID locator tags for fish so we can scan a tank or room to find them in these situations.  [emoji26]
Oh my gosh that just reminded me...I have a tank cam! I'll look at the playback and see if I can find any clues.

• Like 3

The other day my blue throat jumped out while my wife was home. She heard it flopping around and she was able to grab it and toss it back in. She confirmed she saw it swimming around back in the tank. We both got home from work later that same day and it had jumped again. This time with no one around to save it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

The other day my blue throat jumped out while my wife was home. She heard it flopping around and she was able to grab it and toss it back in. She confirmed she saw it swimming around back in the tank. We both got home from work later that same day and it had jumped again. This time with no one around to save it.

Sorry for your loss.  I'm glad I keep a mesh cover on my tank.  Last week I heard a big splash and it was one of my fish trying to jump but the lid kept it inside.  No idea why they decide to jump, but glad the lid prevented it.

Holly, do you have an ORP probe in your tank? If so, look at the reading over the last day. If it is rapidly dropping, it means he is crammed in a rock somewhere dead.

I lost two blue throats by apparantly having them say "hey, I think I can fit in here" and then they couldn't.

Hope he turns up!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk