ORP at 457. What does that mean?

MorseReef

Hello,

I just recently got a Apex.  With the apex comes the ability to monitor ORP.  I really don't understand what ORP does in our aquariums.  My ORP has been steadily climbing since I got the Apex on line. Is an ORP of 457 too high?  How can I regulate ORP?

Thank you for your help. 

Look at ORP as a reference number. Higher number is better, but it will be different for each tank. Your ORP will eventually settle at some point, and when you see a big drop you should investigate a reason. My ORP typically fluctuate between 350-370 and drops to 270 during water change and gets back to the range in about 12 hours. 

I've been tracking my ORP for over a year. (why?  because I'm a data nerd. 🤓)

Mine fluctuates by about 20-30 daily, and over time I see upwards trends when my tank is cleaner and downward trends when things are dirtier or when something dies.  When I do larger water changes, it spikes up dramatically. 

In this graph, the blue line is the daily high and low readings.  The purple line is the daily average, and the black line is an overall trendline.  The low point in Dec 2018 was when my tank suffered from brown jelly syndrome and there was a lot of dead tissue.  The big spike on Dec 6, 2019 was when I traded my "seasoned" Marine Pure block with @obrien.david.j's new block and did a water change.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 10.16.41 AM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

This is a really good read if you haven't seen it yet.  General advice is that is is worth following with time to check for major swings (i.e. dead organisms, overdosing ozone) but not something to try and deliberately or actively manage (except if you are actively dosing ozone).  As John shows above, a very healthy tank will still undergo some natural micro and macro swings over time so nothing to be too concerned by.

54 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I've been tracking my ORP for over a year. (why?  because I'm a data nerd. 🤓)

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 10.16.41 AM.png

Oh Fellow Data Nerd... I might need an post from you on your system to pull and store neptune data, and then favorite way of graphing like this.  I LIKE THIS!

(And SEE, swapping blocks was good for your ORP.  :)

And my ORP was running low 400's before Xmas, and then I got the grand idea to do more Amino Acid dosing and daily targeted coral feedings while I was home over the holidays - and dropped into the mid/upper 300's.  Doesn't bother me either way.   Higher means I had less organics in the water, lower means I've been adding a lot.   And my skimmer confirms that.

image.pngimage.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Oh Fellow Data Nerd... I might need an post from you on your system to pull and store neptune data, and then favorite way of graphing like this.  I LIKE THIS!

You'll be disappointed to know that my "system" for graphing this data is just manual entry into Excel.  I haven't found any easy way to automate it.  I know there's some method to pull XML data from the Apex, but I've never managed to figure it out.

32 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

You'll be disappointed to know that my "system" for graphing this data is just manual entry into Excel.  I haven't found any easy way to automate it.  I know there's some method to pull XML data from the Apex, but I've never managed to figure it out.

Ha!  Finally found a weakness!  j/k. I know someone who could probably help with that but am keeping him busy at work 😁  If I was running APEX I probably would have already hit him up for this...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Ha!  Finally found a weakness!  j/k. I know someone who could probably help with that but am keeping him busy at work 😁  If I was running APEX I probably would have already hit him up for this...

In the past I would go out of my way to find an automated solution.  But now that I'm retired, I need to find things to occupy my time, so data entry into Excel fills that need. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You actually TYPE into excel?  Like real numbers?

Okay, I'll work on the article to extract the xml from Apex and reformat it.  Someone else will have to help on the automation to re-execute on a regular basis.  And then based on extracted format, we'll work on graphing.   This is one area I wish someone had put a homebrew solution to years ago. I am a data nerd.

But... Before I do all this, and seeing that you're retired...  Will you go scour R2R and the Neptune community boards to see if someone has done this already?   I know how to get an xml of data out of apex manually.  I'm looking for a more re-executable/automated extractor, and then auto-appender of data together please.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

You actually TYPE into excel?  Like real numbers?

Okay, I'll work on the article to extract the xml from Apex and reformat it.  Someone else will have to help on the automation to re-execute on a regular basis.  And then based on extracted format, we'll work on graphing.   This is one area I wish someone had put a homebrew solution to years ago. I am a data nerd.

But... Before I do all this, and seeing that you're retired...  Will you go scour R2R and the Neptune community boards to see if someone has done this already?   I know how to get an xml of data out of apex manually.  I'm looking for a more re-executable/automated extractor, and then auto-appender of data together please.

Thanks!

There are several threads on XML in the Neptune Forums.  I tinkered with it a year ago, but got frustrated and gave up on it.  See:

• Like 2

It still looks like no-one has a "here's a canned solution."   but I'll investigate getting closer.  Frankly, I'm surprised, given how long Apex has been out and how nerdy some of us users are.   

Two things are motivating me to pick this up again.  1. I want to see trends longer than 7 days.  Even 14 days would help, but I really want to see 30day trends.  2. I want to setup some pre-canned comparison graphs.  I regularly compare my pH, overlayed with my dosing schedule.  Just to watch my Kalk reactor trend.   I regularly watch my Temp, overlayed with Heater and 2ndHeater On/Off, and my fish room T-air overlayed.  

We're out of town this weekend, so investigating this domain will have to wait until next week for me.   

• Like 2