Moving Walt Disney lower in tank

obrien.david.j

I had conversation last night with SunCrestReef last night about our Walt Disney frags.   Both of ours are towards the top of our water column, and at least mine is Just Not Going Anywhere.    Its almost no different from when I added it in June.

So, I've moved it down to an artificial frag rock at the bottom of my tank.   Let's see what it does.

1. Frag Rack, about 8" below water level  (next to Oregon Tort, which loves this spot)

2. Frag Rock, about 18" below water level (next to PC Rainbow, i bought at FragFest and it loves This spot)

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@SuncrestReef Funny you should ask, I was looking at my Walt Disney in its new location just last night.   It was absolutely the right move.  Although it hasn't exploded in growth yet, it has colored up and has a healthier look.   I'm also surprised about the success of the other frags I've put on on the same temporary sand bed frag rock.  

Photos in first post were from Dec 5th.

Photo in this post are from Jan 11th.  Look PC Rainbow exploding.  (main red-ish frag) IMG_4747.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm also surprised about the success of the other frags I've put on on the same temporary sand bed frag rock.  

Hi David - do you have any idea what the PAR is like in those two locations?  Lots of growth on that PC rainbow and the color definitely looks improved on the WD.

I don't know the PAR.  I'll got a meter, will have to break it out.    I'll update in a few days, after I can get it measured.

I have a PC rainbow frag that has never been happy, but it immediately went from red tissue to green tissue when in my tank. Maybe I’m hitting it with too much light? Yours seems real happy and all red so maybe they like lower light. The frag is at similar levels in the tank where blue stag and slimmer are doing great, so didn’t think of the light factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My walt disney was originally on a shelf high in the tank wall.   (First picture, next to Oregon Torte.)    I assume it's now getting lower light, it's sitting on the floor of the tank.

Water motion is a different story.   The shelf gets flow, but from the other side of the 4' tank.   (thus indirect flow)    The bottom of the tank get's direct cross flow from an MP40 about 2' away, maybe 4" higher, but nothing in the way to block the flow.

Thanks for the inputs on PC Rainbow's desires.  I'll sneak it back into some shadow.