World of Wet Pets - Beaverton

shaywood

They have a decent selection of smaller saltwater fish, cleanup crew, but a very limited selection of corals.  Mostly soft corals and a few LPS.  Their tanks always look really dirty and I've never bought any saltwater livestock there.  My wife usually gets her freshwater fish there, although I just took her to All Things Aquarium for the first time and she realized what a better selection they have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

John... please don't tell me you havent taken your wife to the wet spot? I love all things aquarium, but their freshwater stock is probably 1/10th of the wet spot.

My wife & I have shopped for freshwater fish many times at Wet Spot over the past several years.  Keep in mind, she's only shopping for tiny fish since the tank at her office was previously 5 gallons, but now I upgraded her to a 10 gallon.  Last week I took her to All Things Aquarium and she was pretty excited to see some fish she hadn't seen before.  But again, the fish she bought were barely 3/4" long, so I'm not sure if we're comparing apples to apples when you say the selection is better at Wet Spot.

43 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

John... please don't tell me you havent taken your wife to the wet spot? I love all things aquarium, but their freshwater stock is probably 1/10th of the wet spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Wet Spot is kind of the “bees knees” when it comes to fresh water in my book. Plus you can get tee shirts with their name on it for all those awkward Xmas gifts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

World of wet pets and wet spot are two different business everyone!

On 12/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, freddyk said:

Their coral section is minimal and over priced but I have had a lot of luck with the livestock and they often have a great selection.

I’ve had a similar experience with the coral, but have had terrible luck with their livestock, both fresh and saltwater. I do not recommend. I’ve personally seen them happily mislead their customers and have heard that they use tap water instead of rodi to mix their saltwater.

To the extent that (in the case of freshwater), I’ve had better experiences with PetCo than with world of wet pets.

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1

I absolutely would avoid The World Of Wet Pets, it used to be my go to place for freshwater back when I kept several freshwater tanks and had just started out with saltwater but the very last time I went I watched as one of their long time employees (guy with dark hair can’t remember name, talks a lot seems like a B-S-er) attempt to screw over someone. A younger guy came in to have his water tested to see if his tank was cycled and ready for fish, the employee was using the API test kit which I am familiar with as I used it for years with freshwater. I watched as he added the drops to test for Ammonia, the vial he tested for the Ammonia clearly was a darker green (which indicates high ammonia) and he immediately dumped it down the drain then walked over and proceeded to tell the customer his tank is cycled and ready for fish and walked him towards the saltwater section and I immediately felt sick.... I waited until the employee walked back up to help another customer up front and told the younger guy quickly what I saw and he looked a bit stunned and unsure but thankfully he ended up walking out telling the employee he would be back later. I haven’t been back since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

They seem to be more into freshwater than marine there, though I go there sometimes because it is the closest LFS to my house.  I kinda agree their marine systems tend to look a bit dirty, and their selection is not so great.   I cannot speak to fudging water test results as I've never observed that, but they have a guy there who seems to really enjoy BS-ing a bit to newer hobbyists from what I have overheard.  I got bad vibes from the fellow, but some of the other employees seemed genuinely helpful from what I've seen.  Now that Cuttlefish and Corals is out here on the west side, and only 3.5 miles from Wet Pets, I really don't see myself going there much anymore...