So one of my frags was dying to STN...

EMeyer

I think we've all been there. What do I do? It had two branches and was STNing from the base. I cut the branches, made two frags, and hoped for the best. 

A month or so went by. I learned some things about the microbiome of reef tanks, thanks in part to the samples many of you contributed. During my analysis and reading I came up with a crazy idea for a treatment for tissue necrosis (STN and RTN). 

Soon enough, my two little branches started to STN again. I treated one frag with my experimental treatment and did nothing to the other. I watched, and waited. Here's a photo I took tonight of the two frags -- untreated on the left, treated on the right. 

1952865326_notndemo.thumb.jpg.9edbe3695e0291706a57a5ac364655c4.jpg

Can you spot the difference? :)I hope you'll agree this evidence is interesting despite the lack of statistical tests or p-values. Yes, its a n of 1. But n always starts with 1...

Wouldnt it be nice, when a frag starts to RTN or STN, if you could do something about it instead of watching and hoping? On that specific detail, stay tuned. 

More broadly -- this is the tip of the iceberg for potential applications to understanding the microbiome of our aquariums. Thanks again for everyone who has contributed samples. And for anyone still holding a sampling kit, please do send it in so we can learn more!

AquaBiomics - microbiome testing for aquariums and aquaculture

Article: What kind of microbes grow in a reef tank?

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 4

The moment I can, I will share more details. 

What I can say is that in my testing of an experimental treatment I have treated several frags of several species that showed RTN or STN. So far I have not lost a single treated frag. 

But most of those lack untreated controls, because most of my frags are things I want to keep :) I am working on inducing RTN in disposable frags for a controlled and replicated experiment. Safety? I am absolutely convinced, I've treated many frags now. Efficacy? My n is still 1 for this so I am not making any claims other than "this is interesting..."

I really am not a snake oil guy. But when I find a compound thats been published in peer reviewed journals, used for decades in a diagnostic capacity, and it shows promising results in my early trials... I start to think there may be something here :)

• Like 2