When is it too much??

pdxmonkeyboy

Ok, so this is kind of portrait of an addict level stuff...  

I currently have a garage full of reef gear, a tank that cost me $6k 2 years ago that i want to sell, my fish and corals are sitting in a good Samaritans tank and I am planning on  building a HUGE tank for a new house that i haven't even closed on yet. 

Seriously... W.   T.  F. ?  I mean, I love me some hobbies, but at some point don't you have to step back and say... whoa dude... what are you thinking?  I priced out my new tank aand we are talking $2600.  That is not the tank... that is a bunch of sheets of acrylic.. I actually have to build the thing.  So I get it built, then I move, and then I am looking at...

Tear out carpet, tear out wall, install beam to carry wall loads, install footing to carry the tank load, run wiring, install a sloped floor with drain, tank stand, rebuild drywall, RODI station, , mixing stations, , quarantine set up, frag tanks, lights, pumps, dehumidifier, light rack, etc etc etc. 

I realize this is the last place to look for help, but I guess I am just having one of those classic "600 gallon display tank" moments.

• Like 3

While I don't have a garage full of stuff because I haven't been in the hobby long enough, I'm already working out my strategy to convince my wife to do a huge addition on our house (under the guise of having an entertainment/bar/game room with a bigger deck) for a way to add a fish room and big peninsula tank.  As we work with our financial advisor, there's no scenario where this pays off in the long run, and of course he shows us a graph proving it's a bad financial decision.  He's no help at all...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

While I don't have a garage full of stuff because I haven't been in the hobby long enough, I'm already working out my strategy to convince my wife to do a huge addition on our house (under the guise of having an entertainment/bar/game room with a bigger deck) for a way to add a fish room and big peninsula tank.  As we work with our financial advisor, there's no scenario where this pays off in the long run, and of course he shows us a graph proving it's a bad financial decision.  He's no help at all...

Ok - I have to say there is a wee bit of irony in that he tried to convince you it was a bad idea using graphs. Does he know who he is talking to?

Seriously though, who ever thought this hobby would be a good financial decision?   That said, I haven’t yet got to the point of building an addition or buying $2600 worth of acrylic. There is still time though 🙃

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Ok, so this is kind of portrait of an addict level stuff...  

I currently have a garage full of reef gear, a tank that cost me $6k 2 years ago that i want to sell, my fish and corals are sitting in a good Samaritans tank and I am planning on  building a HUGE tank for a new house that i haven't even closed on yet. 

Seriously... W.   T.  F. ?  I mean, I love me some hobbies, but at some point don't you have to step back and say... whoa dude... what are you thinking?  I priced out my new tank aand we are talking $2600.  That is not the tank... that is a bunch of sheets of acrylic.. I actually have to build the thing.  So I get it built, then I move, and then I am looking at...

Tear out carpet, tear out wall, install beam to carry wall loads, install footing to carry the tank load, run wiring, install a sloped floor with drain, tank stand, rebuild drywall, RODI station, , mixing stations, , quarantine set up, frag tanks, lights, pumps, dehumidifier, light rack, etc etc etc. 

I realize this is the last place to look for help, but I guess I am just having one of those classic "600 gallon display tank" moments.

Well, I will say that you don’t do anything half way. How long ago was it that I had to house your first frag because you didn’t even have a tank set up?  Just seems like yesterday... 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 7:25 PM, SuncrestReef said:

If you sell coral frags, it might lower the long-term losses.

Some memes for this moment:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by milesmiles902
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

120 gallons?  Bro... why are you even here?  LOL

I must confess that if I didn't do EVERYTHING myself, I could never in a million years afford a mosnter tank. Plus, for my first tank I bought all the stuff I would need for a bigger tank (except for the lights).  My skimmer, calcium reactor, fuge, apex, water mixing station, .. all that stuff will just be shifted over to my larger tank.  I am building the tank myself, so that saves 2-3 thousand right there, and I am going to try and cut down on heating costs by heating the tank with my hot water heater.  

I think if I REALLY knew what this hobby was going to cost, then I probably would have never started.  But I do really enjoy building things and creating a beautiful piece of art in my house.  

This next tank will be OFF THE HOOK COOL!!!  

11 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I must confess that if I didn't do EVERYTHING myself, I could never in a million years afford a mosnter tank. Plus, for my first tank I bought all the stuff I would need for a bigger tank (except for the lights).  My skimmer, calcium reactor, fuge, apex, water mixing station, .. all that stuff will just be shifted over to my larger tank.  I am building the tank myself, so that saves 2-3 thousand right there, and I am going to try and cut down on heating costs by heating the tank with my hot water heater. 

That's the way to do it!

Well, while I know it’s off topic, you could instead put time and effort into a track car to race. I’ve been seriously thinking of that, though not having a double garage would make it difficult. I actually think I enjoy wrenching just slightly more than reefing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, while I know it’s off topic, you could instead put time and effort into a track car to race. I’ve been seriously thinking of that, though not having a double garage would make it difficult. I actually think I enjoy wrenching just slightly more than reefing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a great way to burn through some serious cash for sure. Fun!! But expensive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1