3rd Grade Tank

MrsW_3rdGrade

Good Afternoon,

This is my first year having a saltwater tank in my classroom. My 3rd grade students are loving it and we are finally ready for some cool inverts etc!  I was put in touch with this program through a local saltwater store and am excited to find some resources to help grow my tank.  When I originally started it, I purchased a 10 gallon cube tank so that's what I have at the moment. I would love to grow it in the future as I know that we will outgrow that size eventually but I wanted to see how it goes before doing so.  At the moment, we have a damsel in the tank, have finished cycling and are really needing a light for the aquarium.  Does anyone know if there are places or businesses that may donate one? We have an innovative marine novo nano 10 tank.  The tank is 11.8 inches wide and we are planning to have a reef tank with a clown fish so we will need to have a light that is conducive for corals.  As soon as we have the light, we will be ready for inverts and to find a clown fish!!  Thanks so much in advance for help through this process. It is amazing to find resources to help offset the cost!!  

IMG_2200.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MrsW_3rdGrade said:

Good Afternoon,

This is my first year having a saltwater tank in my classroom. My 3rd grade students are loving it and we are finally ready for some cool inverts etc!  I was put in touch with this program through a local saltwater store and am excited to find some resources to help grow my tank.  When I originally started it, I purchased a 10 gallon cube tank so that's what I have at the moment. I would love to grow it in the future as I know that we will outgrow that size eventually but I wanted to see how it goes before doing so.  At the moment, we have a damsel in the tank, have finished cycling and are really needing a light for the aquarium.  Does anyone know if there are places or businesses that may donate one? We have an innovative marine novo nano 10 tank.  The tank is 11.8 inches wide and we are planning to have a reef tank with a clown fish so we will need to have a light that is conducive for corals.  As soon as we have the light, we will be ready for inverts and to find a clown fish!!  Thanks so much in advance for help through this process. It is amazing to find resources to help offset the cost!!  

IMG_2200.jpg

Where are you located ?

We need details.................

Always glad to see another tank in a classroom and happy that you found your way here.  As kknight noted, we have a coordinator for the Tanks for Teachers program who works directly with the host institutions to arrange support and gather resources.  Her name is Cherany and her forum handle is FlashyFins. I will tag her here so she doesn't miss this @Flashy Fins

Looking good, Mrs. W!  We'll get you into the program and help you out.

@TheClark - will you please add a section for Harvey Clarke Elementary School in this area?

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forum/179-current-schools/

Might as well move this thread over to it, as well.

I'll PM you with further details, @MrsW_3rdGrade. Glad to have you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! My tank is doing really well and my class would LOVE to get an anemone for our tank.  Preferably a bubble tip anemone.  Does anyone have a small bubble tip that maybe split off theirs that they would be willing to donate to our classroom? Here is a current picture of the tank. 

IMG_1546.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to see the tank is doing well and you were able to get the clown fish you were hoping for (and obviously a light).  Hopefully someone has a spare bubble tip they could donate or, if not, maybe something could be worked out with one of our sponsors and TFT - they have been very supportive of the program in the past.  I will ping our TFT coordinator here just to make sure she knows you are looking @Flashy Fins 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBret said:

I have a small green bubble tip you can have and some dragons breath macro algae. Im in hillsboro 

20200109_125539.jpg

Thank you SOOO MUCH! I would love to pick this up whenever is convenient for you!!!! I will message you.

36 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

I would be more then happy to donate a frogspawn and hammer frag. 

We would LOVE it!!! I will message you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I can donate a couple large grape Montipora corals if you want them. They are very easy and can adapt to wide lighting conditions. They could be a good test before getting an anemone.

Daniel52e6e1ba3b2fd773f9587a36bfb10d63.jpg
So Coll!! How big are these?  Our tank is only 10 gallons so I'm not sure if it will fit.  Let me know what you think :) Thanks!
Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Hello there!
Although, it may be a bit of a drive, I can donate a couple heads of frogspawn, various zoas, mushrooms, chalices and a small BW nem.
Lmk, I can hook the kiddos up!
Located in Battle Ground

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

Dodge has some nice coral - this is a very generous offer and worth the trip if you can swing it. @MrsW_3rdGrade

• Like 1