Red Sea E260 - First reef

Jexter

Starting up a tank thread here (also maintaining similar on R2R).

After poring over options and losing out on some craigslist/facebook items that were much more reasonable, a RedSea Max-E 260 popped up on craigslist (with a very substantial credit thrown in at a LFS). It was out of my price range but was exactly what I wanted so i fired up eBay and sold off my vintage video game collection gathering dust and jumped in.  I work from home and this is setup in my office. Awesome stress relief to spin my chair and stare at it for 5-10mins 4-5 times a day.  

I've really enjoyed the start of this hobby and the LFS I've frequented (Woodys, CuttleFish, All Things) have been super helpful and easy to talk to, get advice, etc..   

I'm mostly enjoying getting small frags and watching them grow.  Currently 5 weeks into waiting out Ich in the main tank so only have 2 clowns (in QT right now).  Can't wait to be able to add more fish!

Current Inhabitants

• 2 Clown fish (Penny & Wise - my daughters choice)
  • 2 Torches
  • Bi-Color Hammer
  • An Island of Xenia
  • 2 Shrooms (1 with child in tow)
  • Zoas - Space Queen, LA Lakers, Lich Kings, Devils Armor, Fruit Loops, Toxic and ?? can't remember the name of the orange/red/pink/blue guys
  • Jason Fox Favites
  • Devils Finger Leather
  • Red Goniopora
  • Purple Pol Birds Nest
  • Fried Circuit Platy
  • Waste Management Crew (Emerald Crab, Blue crab, 6 Nassarius and 6 gigantic Trochus)

Current Gear Running

• RedSea MAX-E 260 stock (return pumps, skimmer, AI lights)
  • Tunze Assomolater ATO
  • Bag of carbon
  • Icap 3k Gyre
  • 3DReefing Diffusers

Current Maintenance

• Weekly water changes (20-25%)
  • Bi-Weekly Carbon replace

Current Goals

• Do my best not too kill anything
  • Put the RedSead DIY net together before I have a sad event with one of my clowns.

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Deuce00 said:

Nice tank and welcome to the site. I’ve got same one going on for about 18months now, no complaints. I went for the optional sump. 

EEF38C36-905C-48A1-A655-E56AB9B63A7E.thumb.jpeg.561aed432001d3a31c5051a2ec8371ca.jpeg

Very nice! .  Love the the big zoa colonies you got going.  I've 'planted' several around the tank and plan on adding many more.  One of my favorites so far.

I'm loving the tank so far.  How are you liking the sump upgrade?  Long term that may be in my future.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 6:23 PM, Jexter said:

Very nice! .  Love the the big zoa colonies you got going.  I've 'planted' several around the tank and plan on adding many more.  One of my favorites so far.

I'm loving the tank so far.  How are you liking the sump upgrade?  Long term that may be in my future.

I really like the sump upgrade so far it’s well built. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Is that a monkey frammer?

I do believe it is what I've heard referred to as a frammer.  Definitely  puffy like a hammer but with frog spawn like appendages.  Would a monkey frammer come from you? lol

• 1 year later...

First reef? You are off to a very good start. It all looks good, and I really like the Red Goniopora. Using a quarantine tank, and dipping your new frags is a good habit to get into. There's a saying in the hobby "Nothing good happens fast". Keep doing what you're doing. Keep asking questions and doing research, and you should be fine.